Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Had to clean up for my party and put away quarts/pints of tomatoes, although my count IS in quarts.
I have 45 quarts of tomatoes stored, Would have more, but 14 quarts went to chili, and DD stole 2 more for stuffed peppers, instead of waiting for me to give her 2020 tomatoes.
Do the math. I have canned nearly 60 quarts this season and I just harvested most of my green tote for canning Wednesday. Too BEAT to can tomatoes today!!
I will be starting my pressure canner for the leftover chili, which I put into jars and in the fridge before retiring last night.
We WILL consume them!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have another 5 quarts of sauce simmering on the stove.

That has to be "it!" We still have some 2020 pasta sauce.

After sauteing the garlic and onions, I deglazed the pan with a couple tablespoons of water. Poured that in the sauce pot, forgot to turn off the burner, and sat the saute pan BACK ON IT!

Four or five minutes later, the problem manifests itself ... I nearly scoured the skin off my fingers with the metal pad taking the burnt whatever off! BTW, baking soda really helps in that process ;).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
THIS was my biggest tomato harvest EVER from last Wednesday:
1634009623237.png

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH are working hard to pressure can together! Too few guests, too MUCH chili, SIL took one quart, but we pressure canned 7 quarts of chili this weekend.
Biggest Okra harvest ever today--froze 7 1/2 quarts today!
Showed one of the few pumpkins I grew this year to DD (who lives 2 hrs away) and she asked about my canteloupe. I said, "What canteloupe?" then remembered that I Had planted a few.
Harvested THIS today, tasted great! Had to take a picture. I have the seeds fermenting in a bucket with a lid, to save for next year. So pretty!!
Canteloupe, 10-11-21.jpg

Attachments

• Harvest, 10-11-21.jpg
    Harvest, 10-11-21.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 231

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is today's okra harvest. I told you how Wet it's been. I Never could slice okra this big if it had been dry.View attachment 44384
Those might make some outstanding pickles! My okra stayed tender much larger this year too, for the same reason. Since I started making okra pickles, my family can't get enough of them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have another 5 quarts of sauce simmering on the stove.

That has to be "it!" We still have some 2020 pasta sauce.

After sauteing the garlic and onions, I deglazed the pan with a couple tablespoons of water. Poured that in the sauce pot, forgot to turn off the burner, and sat the saute pan BACK ON IT!

Four or five minutes later, the problem manifests itself ... I nearly scoured the skin off my fingers with the metal pad taking the burnt whatever off! BTW, baking soda really helps in that process ;).
First, Dawn Powerwash. It REALLY works. Just let it sit for awhile first. Second, treat your skin with your favorite hand lotion. Btw, Powerwash has refills that fit under the nozzle.

Attachments

• 1634039569918.png
    1634039569918.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 242