Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
THIS is why I need the roses, but roses aren't available right now. Guess If I find a few I will plant them with the grapes, OR wait until next year. I will need to move them until the Japanese beetles go away. :somad :somad :somad GLAD I haven't planted them yet!!

Attachments

• Grape eaten up by beetles, 07-14-22.jpg
    Grape eaten up by beetles, 07-14-22.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 60

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are the other two. I gave them ALL a good soaking today. Think they will move to the "herb garden" for a couple of weeks. The existing grapes can handle this, but these little ones Don't have that many leaves! :hit

Attachments

• Grape #2 ok, 07-14-22.jpg
    Grape #2 ok, 07-14-22.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Grape#3 ok, 07-14-22.jpg
    Grape#3 ok, 07-14-22.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 51

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

• If you don't want to fight the beetles you can try growing plants that are unattractive to them. Yes, they do exist! Some of these plants include columbine, begonia, dogwood, forsythia, holly, impatiens, lilacs, hosta, and violets.

Maybe they should be moved over to the south yard and next to my holly and lilac, TODAY, they will be visiting my hosta, for tea...or something...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
6 WEEKS OF THESE NASTY BUGS :hit :hit :hit
I guess I will have to fill a small bucket with soapy water. You put it underneath where they are feeding, and knock them into it. They are like houseflies. They move when they see you about to hit them, exCEPT they will drop down to the ground, crawl a little bit, they fly up to feed more.
I also have NEEM OIL to try.
They are REALLY bad this year.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
6 WEEKS OF THESE NASTY BUGS :hit :hit :hit
I guess I will have to fill a small bucket with soapy water. You put it underneath where they are feeding, and knock them into it. They are like houseflies. They move when they see you about to hit them, exCEPT they will drop down to the ground, crawl a little bit, they fly up to feed more.
I also have NEEM OIL to try.
They are REALLY bad this year.
I use need oil any time I have a bug issue, it works for EVERYTHING and is safe. I've even used it as a soil drench and it really worked for that too. I consider it a miracle cure for near everything. It costs about 20 bucks a bottle, though you gotta buy some Castille soap to emulsify it. I guess you could use other soaps too, I just haven't tried others besides Dr. Bronner's. Doesn't smell bad either, though it does have particular 'aroma'.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
In one day I went from 24 tomatoes in the ground to 37. I Still have over 10 reserves that are small. The extras were 1 Roma, and 2 San Marinos, that I bought, and the rest were Cherokee Purple, the ones living in the fish tank on the porch. VERY leggy. They are caged, watered, and buried as deep as I had the energy to do today.
They are located on the south side of the cistern, with sweet peppers on the east and west. I moved my soaker hose there today and soaked them all.
Can't have too many tomatoes!!
(I will be sick of canning by September if they all produce!)

Latest posts