ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Found this interesting article:

Native Ferns Protect the Environment​

Native Ferns

Helping Heal Contaminated Environments​

One of the most remarkable qualities of native ferns involves their ability to filter out contaminants. The ability of plants to remove pollutants from air, soil, or water is called phytoremediation.

Ferns are a natural water filter. This is made possible by their extensive rooting systems. And, their their filtering capabilities can be used in the wide variety of environments where ferns can grow.

Ferns are a natural air purifier. Ferns are fantastic for removing common airborne pollutants — including formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene — which have been thought to cause headaches and trouble breathing.

Ferns can uptake heavy metals from the soil. One of the most notable examples is Arsenic. Arsenic in backyard soil commonly comes from:
  • Previous pesticide use (from pesticides prior to the 1940's.)
  • Decomposing older arsenic treated wood from a fence or deck - even if the structure has vanished.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started cutting down the tree of paradise(es) growing along the fenceline, in preparation for planting my 10 privets. Only got 1/4 of the way, too tired to continue, AND I had a weed webinar at 1:30 to listen to (live.)
I will get back to it tomorrow. MEANWHILE I have to look at my neighbor's trasy up close and personal, while I cut.
It will take awhile for the privets to fill in. These weed trees have been shading my two hollies (supposed to grow 5 ft wide and 12 ft tall) AND my lilac. Soon the will all have full sun.
About to fill my tow wagon with what I believe will be about 10 wagons full of brush. I identified the volunteer redbud and it gets to live. The others will be poisoned this week.'
About 5 of them are too thick to use my reciprocating saw to take them down to the ground. Oh, well...
I hope to mow down and weed, although I have chopped dowdn 6 burdock growing there.
I will plant something like sunflowers to the south of the privets, holly and lilac, maybe cosmos.]
The privets have to be 5 ft from the fence. Instructions say they will take off once in the ground.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Found this interesting article:

Native Ferns Protect the Environment​

Native Ferns

Helping Heal Contaminated Environments​

One of the most remarkable qualities of native ferns involves their ability to filter out contaminants. The ability of plants to remove pollutants from air, soil, or water is called phytoremediation.

Ferns are a natural water filter. This is made possible by their extensive rooting systems. And, their their filtering capabilities can be used in the wide variety of environments where ferns can grow.

Ferns are a natural air purifier. Ferns are fantastic for removing common airborne pollutants — including formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene — which have been thought to cause headaches and trouble breathing.

Ferns can uptake heavy metals from the soil. One of the most notable examples is Arsenic. Arsenic in backyard soil commonly comes from:
  • Previous pesticide use (from pesticides prior to the 1940's.)
  • Decomposing older arsenic treated wood from a fence or deck - even if the structure has vanished.
Wow, I didn't know any of this! Happy to read this because we have lots of ferns by the creek where I sometimes get water.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my garage door fixed today. Only $60 bc it was just a worn out gear. Had too many calls re problems with the town and trustees. BUT...
Got a call from my neighbor and he wants to GIVE ME old, seedy, rained on Hay.
Why do I want it?!?
I want to spread it out in my pastures and fill in bare patches bc the seeds will sprout And be covered by the old hay stems. Fertilizes, too, as it breaks down! :weee :weee :weee
Free delivery, too!!
A 25 pound of pasture seed is now $50/1 acre. IF you manage to get it to sprout, then you fight the birds, fight the current drought and there's you lose $ down the drain.
VERY HAPPY DUCKS!!! :love:love:love

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put in a search and yes! I can grow roses With my grapes!!
Why do I Want to?!?
Bc the Japanese beetles have been all OVER my grape leaves this year!!!
Rose bushes can handle their season ok and bounce back.
1657744100539.png

1657744247026.png

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we had a Pinot Noir vineyard in Murphys CA, I planted a rose at the end of every row, where they could be seen. There in the Sierra Foothills, you use the roses to see how the health of the grapes are. Loooooong drip irrigation for hours at a time, and the roses flourished as did the vines.

Latest posts