Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hope you newbies are getting something from out FAILURE posts. Here is one--PUNY garlic harvest. Here is the Biggest one. Guess I'll save them all, dry them out and replant SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! I had them in my front bed, but I'm not sure they got enough sun. Not supposed to plant garlic until October. BAAAHHHHH!!!! :somad

Attachments

• Garlic from puny harvest, 07-14-22.jpg
    Garlic from puny harvest, 07-14-22.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we had a Pinot Noir vineyard in Murphys CA, I planted a rose at the end of every row, where they could be seen. There in the Sierra Foothills, you use the roses to see how the health of the grapes are. Loooooong drip irrigation for hours at a time, and the roses flourished as did the vines.
Why on the outside? If you don't want to interfere with the grape's roots, wouldn't it interfere with the grape on the end?
Won't be able to do this probably until 2023, so I'd like to plan.
NOW, IF I find a few next week, next trip into town, I'll be ready to transplant Immediately.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
"In order to prevent pests and diseases, keep your roses and grape vines healthy and strong and if possible, grow few more plants next to them, like hyssop (Hyssopus), basil (Ocimum basilicum), oregano (Origanum vulgare), chives (Allium schoenoprasum) etc.
These plants keep insects away by producing repelling scents and can be very beneficial in the whole garden, not only next to roses and grape vines. They are also very decorative plants, too."

I ONLY thought of this bc my roses are being attacked right now, too. They look a little ragged, especially my yellow knockout, BUT the new red rose I planted to replace the one that died, just finished it's first blooming, and my Tropicana is also in bloom. My tall, yellow mini rose has been chewed on, but they left my small, mini pink rose alone, (both front of the house).
Maybe it's time to plant some garlic there, too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

"Last but not least, I was told by an old-timer that roses planted at the ends of the rows prevented the horses that plowed between the vines from turning too quickly and taking out the last vine of the row. The thorny roses kept the horse on a wider path, which kept the horses from cutting corners and knocking over the vines. It makes sense to me, what’d you think?"

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend I transplanted 13 cabbage (clearance and kept alive under gro lights), 7 cauliflower (kept in water until 2 weeks ago), planted an 8 x 8 patch of beets (15 rows), and FINALLY got the rest of the corn planted.
The cauliflower and cabbage are shaded by trees 1/2 of the day.
I had bought an over the counter package of sweet corn. IT got planted in row#3.
Row#4 got planted with the same "early" seeds, staggered rows, like 1, 2, and 3.
Row#5 "early" seeds, BUT, I didn't want to save them, SO, I made boxes with my hand rake, sprinkled seeds from the jar that they were in, then covered up. Each box is about 12 inches wide and the row is 12 Ft wide.
ALL seeds are in.
We'll See what I get.
I also tilled up where my plumber had left kind of a mess several years ago and laid down both 100 pounds of oats and 5 packages of wildflower seeds that are supposed to attract pollinators.
I swept the barn and covered the whole section of lawn, just east of the cistern and adjacent to/south of the sidewalk by the house. Took 4 wheelbarrows full to cover. I will be soaking it this week to get the seeds to sprout and the cover to keep them wet.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are planted at the end of the row, on the other side of the main row support. Grape vines go waaaaaaay deep, which is way deeper than roses go. There is no interference.
You see THAT's what I want to know. I'm tempted to plant roses between the grapes so that They will take the eat during Japanese Beetle season. Whatcha think?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
roses are deer food here unless inside the fenced gardens.

if you are doing formal grape arbors for harvesting grapes i'd not interplant with anything because the pruning and overgrowth will be a challenge to keep from smothering or wrapping around grape vines. there's a nightmare i would have trying to keep a grape vine properly trained if roses were mixed in there too.

Latest posts