Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Many things here are broken.
1) tractor--the lever that holds the hydraulics in place for the bucket attachment keeps popping out
(Christian brother suggested that I contact the manufacturer.)
2) 4 car garage, first the south door needed fixing--repaired
then
3) the north door doesn't work--repairman coming tomorrow morning
4) ice maker on fridge Works, but it no longer dispenses ice (I'll live with That one)
5) brand new washing machine won't run
THAT's a story. I come in from my gardening break bc we have the AC on, and DH tells me it's busted. Bought it at Lowe's, so I call Them. I get a robo answering machine which redirects me to another Phone# to call for service. I call that number, have the phone to my sweaty face, try to push digits to set this up, and the robot tells me --
"You have pressed to many digits. Good Bye!"
Put the phone on speaker and I make an appointment for the repair place to call me so that I can MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to get it fixed and I need the serial#, order# and proof of purchase.
THIS is our new normal.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost lost 3 sweet peppers. I Heavily watered them, then ran the soaker hose for an hour. All have recovered, I Hope.
Going into town on Thursday, so I may have to look for another replacement.

one good deep watering during this hot weather is probably better than not enough. you may be ok with this...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , the smaller peppers ALL looked better after yesterday's soaking, but were leaf curling this morning. I shoveled up straw, etc from a stall this morning, filled my small wheelbarrow with it and mulched around all of the peppers And tomatoes around the cistern. Got the soaker hose going now. I want to soak them all again tonight for about 30 minutes and only water them in the evening from now on. The heat here is BAKING them.
I transplanted the purchased pepper, too. It looks great bc I first put it in the muck bucket that has 10 tomato "reserve troops" and 2 inches of water.
I have about 1/2 a dozen small peppers growing, too.
Taking breaks in the AC.
Repairman is totally replacing my garage door opener, but it's probably a good thing, since we use it practically every day.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
So...Whirlpool did NOT call me back yesterday. :somad:somad:somad
Lowe's manager didn't return my call, EITHER. :rant:rant:rant
Gotta take the truck in town tomorrow for a general check before DH and DD's CO vacation next month.
DH suggested that I dress up and talk to the manager personally.
Meanwhile Speed Queen has been recommended to me, in the case that I demand a full refund/pickup.
I will keep you updated...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't think I could use wood ashes for mulching.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't think I could use wood ashes for mulching.
I think they only recommended wood ashes to repel slugs. Mulching with wood ashes could be very detrimental... raw ashes could burn plant roots, and raise the soil pH. I use wood ashes from the fire pit & wood burner on the gardens, but only after they have been leached by rainfall for at least several months. Even then I use them sparingly; turned under with Fall leaves, the result is fairly pH neutral.

Latest posts