Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday I spent over 2 hours on one bed. GOTTA be an easier way!!!
I have nightmares of the clay that used to be my ENTIRE 30' x 12' main garden bed!!
I worked on a 12 inch wide, 12 ft long section, the northmost part of my main bed, located adjacent to and north OF the northmost fencing that I constructed in 2021 for tomatoes.
I can't till there else I would catch chicken wire.
I attacked this like I have attacked the north part of 3/5 areas north of the fences. Compaction has occurred simply bc the soil is below and next to the fences and not amended since 2020-2021 winter. I have been used my spade to dig up, and then I have been using my gloves to break up the soil for planting. Time consuming, but not too difficult, except for THIS one. TOTAL CLAY!!!:barnie:barnie:barnie
I was weeding and throwing the weeds away to be mowed down, and I was throwing clods of clay over my shoulder, Too. After I broke up everything that I could break up, sometimes using my Spade to break it up, I raked up the last pile from my hay delivery last month, which 1/2 filled a small wheelbarrow, and mixed it in with my hand rake before planting.
I planted beans--some black beans that I forgot to identify and some brown beans, aGAIN not identified--riight next to/underneath the fence, then I worked my way and planted Brussels Sprouts, the coated seed, and used nearly a package of those.
1658931121845.png

OVERVIEW​

• Safe and all-natural seed coating is made from a high-quality blend of all-natural materials consisting of clay, lime and perlite
  • The colors applied to the seed coating are done with the use of FDA approved food coloring
  • Strong stalks make this variety easy to harvest
  • Sprouts can be frozen after harvesting

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Value of coated seeds?
"Why Use Pelleted Seeds?
Pelleted seeds have several advantages over ordinary uncoated seeds:

--Easier handling – have you ever had a hard time picking up small seeds, such as carrot, lettuce, or onion seeds? Pelleted seeds are much easier to pick up, so you won’t have the problem of not being able to grab your seeds.
--Heavier – according to Seed Dynamics, pelleted seeds are 10 to 40 times heavier than ordinary seeds. This means that they won’t blow away in the wind (or if you breathe on them!)
--Larger – pelleted seeds are larger than ordinary seeds, so they are less likely to get lost if you drop them.
--Better Spacing – pelleted seeds are easier to plant at the proper spacing in a row. This gives each plant enough room to grow and prevents tangled weeds and competition among plants.
--Less Seed Thinning – if you plant too many small seeds close together, you will need to thin some of them. Pelleted seed prevents this problem, which reduces wasted seeds.
--Less Machine Jamming – if you use a mechanical seeder to help with planting, pelleted seeds are much less likely to jam in the seeding machine.
--Pelleted seeds are less likely to jam in a seeding machine.
Are Pelleted Seeds Better?
--Pelleted seeds are not necessarily better than ordinary seeds in all cases. Each type of seed has its own advantages and uses.

It is true that pelleted seeds have all of the advantages listed above. However, there are also some disadvantages of pelleted seeds:

--More Expensive – on a per-seed basis, pelleted seeds are more expensive than ordinary seeds. This is because the pelleting material, treatments, equipment, and time involved in the pelleting process all cost money. Treatments (such as fungicide, insecticide, nitrogen fixing bacteria) will also make seeds more expensive.
--Too Round – some pelleted seeds may be too round, to the point where they roll around and drive you crazy trying to herd them into place.
--More Volume – since pelleted seeds are so much larger, they take up more space. This won’t be a huge problem if you don’t have a large garden, but it could be a consideration if you are growing at scale.
--Shorter Shelf Life – pelleted seeds do not last as long as ordinary seeds. Sometimes a chemical treatment reduces the lifespan of the seed, but the inert coating may also reduce their viability.
--How Long Do Pelleted Seeds Last?
Pelleted seeds do not last as long as ordinary seeds. The pelleting process reduces their shelf life.

Some of the fungicide or insecticide treatments may also affect the longevity of seeds. Johnny’s Selected Seeds recommends using pelleted seeds within one year."

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
SO...bed Now looks like this. 2nd photo shows 1/3 sugar snap peas that survived my bad stewardship, and 3rd photo shows THAT SS pea plant is still making pods and has attached itself to a corn plant.

Attachments

• North of 1st fencing main bed, 07-26-22, #1.jpg
    North of 1st fencing main bed, 07-26-22, #1.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 55
  • North of 1st fencing main bed, 07-26-22, #2.jpg
    North of 1st fencing main bed, 07-26-22, #2.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 61
  • North of 1st fencing main bed, 07-26-22, #3.jpg
    North of 1st fencing main bed, 07-26-22, #3.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 56

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I spent over 2 hours on one bed. GOTTA be an easier way!!!
I have nightmares of the clay that used to be my ENTIRE 30' x 12' main garden bed!!
I worked on a 12 inch wide, 12 ft long section, the northmost part of my main bed, located adjacent to and north OF the northmost fencing that I constructed in 2021 for tomatoes.

throw field peas on there after any harvest, later in the season plant oats and field peas, both will get killed by frosts but any roots or organic material they can grow can all get turned under or left standing until spring to keep it covered (and limit weeds). any bits of wood chips you can get on there to eventually break down. etc. of course beans too are good eating if you can get a crop.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just gonna look at my beans today, BUT I had to harvest 3 of them. I did remember that I planted a handful of asparagus beans. I will Definitely save These seeds, they are so cool! There are more beans coming, too.

Attachments

• Asparagus beans, 1st harvest, 07-27-22.jpg
    Asparagus beans, 1st harvest, 07-27-22.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Purple bean,  07-27-22, #7.jpg
    Purple bean, 07-27-22, #7.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Purple bean, 1st harvest, 07-27-22.jpg
    Purple bean, 1st harvest, 07-27-22.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Bean harvest, 07-27-22.jpg
    Bean harvest, 07-27-22.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 52

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Value of coated seeds?
"Why Use Pelleted Seeds?
Pelleted seeds have several advantages over ordinary uncoated seeds:

--Easier handling – have you ever had a hard time picking up small seeds, such as carrot, lettuce, or onion seeds? Pelleted seeds are much easier to pick up, so you won’t have the problem of not being able to grab your seeds.
--Heavier – according to Seed Dynamics, pelleted seeds are 10 to 40 times heavier than ordinary seeds. This means that they won’t blow away in the wind (or if you breathe on them!)
--Larger – pelleted seeds are larger than ordinary seeds, so they are less likely to get lost if you drop them.
--Better Spacing – pelleted seeds are easier to plant at the proper spacing in a row. This gives each plant enough room to grow and prevents tangled weeds and competition among plants.
--Less Seed Thinning – if you plant too many small seeds close together, you will need to thin some of them. Pelleted seed prevents this problem, which reduces wasted seeds.
--Less Machine Jamming – if you use a mechanical seeder to help with planting, pelleted seeds are much less likely to jam in the seeding machine.
--Pelleted seeds are less likely to jam in a seeding machine.
Are Pelleted Seeds Better?
--Pelleted seeds are not necessarily better than ordinary seeds in all cases. Each type of seed has its own advantages and uses.

It is true that pelleted seeds have all of the advantages listed above. However, there are also some disadvantages of pelleted seeds:

--More Expensive – on a per-seed basis, pelleted seeds are more expensive than ordinary seeds. This is because the pelleting material, treatments, equipment, and time involved in the pelleting process all cost money. Treatments (such as fungicide, insecticide, nitrogen fixing bacteria) will also make seeds more expensive.
--Too Round – some pelleted seeds may be too round, to the point where they roll around and drive you crazy trying to herd them into place.
--More Volume – since pelleted seeds are so much larger, they take up more space. This won’t be a huge problem if you don’t have a large garden, but it could be a consideration if you are growing at scale.
--Shorter Shelf Life – pelleted seeds do not last as long as ordinary seeds. Sometimes a chemical treatment reduces the lifespan of the seed, but the inert coating may also reduce their viability.
--How Long Do Pelleted Seeds Last?
Pelleted seeds do not last as long as ordinary seeds. The pelleting process reduces their shelf life.

Some of the fungicide or insecticide treatments may also affect the longevity of seeds. Johnny’s Selected Seeds recommends using pelleted seeds within one year."
I've used this company's seeds, they seemed great. Now if only they would pellet those itty-bitty teeny weeny carrot seeds....! I know they sell the carrot tapes but the price is just a bit too high for the amount in there I think.

Interesting, I didn't know the coating shortened the seed shelf life.

Latest posts