Ducks4you for 2022

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:plbb🤩I was gonna post one of these on Picture of the Week, but...dunno.
This is the prettiest tomato I have grown this year and it is a Cherokee Purple.
Funny, it was on the garage side of my fencing. I had to pull it off and "walk" it up the other side of the fencing to the top and over bc the fencing is to shallow to pull it through, but it worked.
I have one tomato squished and growing on both sides!
ANYWAY, Please let me know which photo you like the best.
I am saving gardening pictures to a folder. DD says she will make me a 2023 calendar with them.
Here we go, vote for your Favorite, pls!
#1View attachment 52406
View attachment 52408
View attachment 52407
#3 🤩

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is beef selling for in your neck of the woods?

anywhere from $2-3/lb for ground chuck which is what i like the best if we're making taco stuff or chili with meat or i'm frying burgers. once in a while a steak is on sale for $4-5/lb, but in the end i think the burgers from chuck are better flavor than many steaks.

picture #3

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Not really. Old cheapo dehydrator finally...died.
I turned it on this morning and the motor was in death throes.
I will have to find another way to dehydrate, maybe upstairs in my office, on a shelf. During the winter it's pretty dry up there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reason why I asked:

Never dried basil but it turns black as it dies with frost or otherwise. There was one guy who regularly came by for Dark Opal basil. He said that it was the best for drying. It occured to me that he may think that way because it is already black ;).

I don't know tho. It seemed like a wonderful choice for the ornamental garden! Kitchen uses, Dark Opal was just too strong for me.

Lemon basil is very good on fish but DW prefers dill and that is good, too. Thai basil in noodles is good, as long as it is attached to its stems and I can take it out while enjoying the fragrance but not actually eating it! Thai basil is already somewhat black.

And, black or green when Sweet Basil dried, I suspect it wouldn't make any difference to me in my pasta sauce :).

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
It wasn't reallt black, just dirty green. We'll see...
I'm gonna try growing it inside this winter and see if I can get fresh all winter. I suspect if it survives my seed starting Inside, it has a better chance than purchasing a basil and Telling it to live here.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
FREEZE WATCH tonight and tomorrow!! :eek::eek::eek:
I did a last bean harvest, although I intend to cover ONE of the rows and see what happens...
Today I harvested the beans that I left on for a few days and hopefully the pile on the left will dry out on the heat mat downstairs and I can get some seeds. RH pile is in the fridge for next week Pressure Canning.
I still have about 30 KPB seeds in a jar, so, even old, I should be able to plant some next year regardless.
Speaking of Beans, I brought up my tomato juice that I canned and searched for beans for tomorrow's chili.
I had 2 pints worth of beans!!!
Gotta go to the store for bacon for Sunday, ANYWAY, and I buy that at the grocery store in the little town 10 minutes south, so beans are now on the list, too. Good thing I have cash!
I am also buying a Halloween-ween plastic tablecloth bc my party is tomorrow and we must be festive.
I will be posting my harvcesting pictures today in between house/yard final cleanings. Expect to NOT hear from me until late Sunday/Monday, when I am recovering from my libations and eating.
Today, I had a Nature Valley muffin for lunch, one that my family brought back in the picnic basket and didn't clean it out.
Below are the beans and a suprising amount of sweet pepper harvest. I was excited to see a red? purple? sweet pepper on the ground rotting bc I can collect seeds from that next week.

Attachments

• Last bean harvest, 10-07-22.jpg
    Last bean harvest, 10-07-22.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Peppers harvested before the freeze watch 10-07-22.jpg
    Peppers harvested before the freeze watch 10-07-22.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts