Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Must be excited. Woke up at 3AM. Linx kept me company while I watched taped cooking shows...in the dark.

Attachments

• Linx, 10-07-22, #2.jpg
    Linx, 10-07-22, #2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 58
  • Scary Linx, 10-07-22.jpg
    Scary Linx, 10-07-22.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 60

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Salsa 12: (October 8-9, 2022) is now in the record books.
I am still glowing. Best Salsa Party in a LONG TIME. They are all good parties, but I had the right crowd this time. ALL OF THE ORIGINAL partygoers made it this year. It is always nice to have a LOOOONNNGGG party, so you have time to tell and to listen to the long stories that you don't always have the time to tell.
Several people coudn't make it bc of jobs, price of gas, conflicts. They were missed, but...there is next year.
DH and I made enough chili to fill up a large turkey roaster 1 1/2 inches from the top. There were 4 1/2 quarts left. We had 15 guests, including us.
My best neighbors (ever, but not now), always bring the salsa, hence the Name of the party, and they had a great time with their kids hanging with his mom.
Here is the bonfire, which probably was the best one I have ever had. The 2nd photo is today, still hot and smoldering 2 days later. 3rd photo, a fire I started by stirring it up.
Bonfire#1, 10-08-22.jpg

Attachments

• Bonfire aftermath, #3, 10-11-22.jpg
    Bonfire aftermath, #3, 10-11-22.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Bonfire aftermath, #2, 10-11-22.jpg
    Bonfire aftermath, #2, 10-11-22.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 56

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday, the way out to the fire, a street shot and part of the family. We always slip through our fencing.
Doesn't everybody?!?!?

Attachments

• Bonfire#2, 10-08-22.jpg
    Bonfire#2, 10-08-22.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Bonfire#3, 10-08-22.jpg
    Bonfire#3, 10-08-22.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Bonfire#4, 10-08-22.jpg
    Bonfire#4, 10-08-22.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 57

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our freeze watch Friday night and Saturday night, made me panic, so Friday afternoon I harvested tomatoes, beans, a couple of cucumbers, and all 30 some sweet peppers. Getting a Little late tonight to upload pictures, but, suffice to say, it wasn't a killing frost. THAT is coming in a few days, so I have a little more harvest time left.
EVERYTHING is on the porch. Temperature at 5 PM was almost 80.
We are on a weather rollercoaster. Windows get opened, windows get shut.
Tomorrow I plan to put the (winter) storm window on the front living room window, the one off of the porch.
Still work to do.
Tomorrow I will post my harvest.
I had a Great Columbus Day weekend!! :weee :weee :weee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
My fall plantings were so thick that the beans and cucumbers grew very well and didn't dry out.
I will probably Fall plant beans again, but not cucumbers. I got lots of vines and leaves and very few fruit, even with the many flowers.
I'm pretty sure that they wanted longer days.
I am about to ferment seeds from 6 very large cucumbers for next year. The leftovers can go to the ponies and their Guinea, "Harold."
According to my research you can count backwards from the end of the squash vine borer season and plant your squashes accordingly.
Here is my sprout to flower research, and I save them on my computer on Notepad. It takes up so little space.
Growing Squashes to avoid the squash vine borer
How long does it take a zucchini plant to flower?
About 45 to 55 days
About 45 to 55 days after you plant, you should notice your plants starting to bloom. Make sure to look under the big leaves as it's easy for zucchini to "hide." The early, small squash (about 6 inches) are the most tender and flavorful, and picking frequently can lead to a larger crop.May 25, 2021
How long does it take a pumpkin plant to flower?
Harvesting. Depending on the variety of pumpkin, your plant should start flowering about eight or nine weeks after being planted.Jan 23, 2022
How long does it take a melon plant to flower?
Watermelon
How long until a watermelon is a plant with flowers?
Tip. Depending on the cultivar and growing conditions, most watermelon will flower from four to eight weeks after germination.

Melons
How long does melon take to flower?
Melons plants require 8-10 weeks of good, hot growing weather from the middle of June to the end of August. During that time, a melon vine must grow 5-9 leaves before starting to flower, then set 4 or more male flowers before making its first female flower, and then ripen its fruit before cool, damp weather sets in.

Cucumbers
After germination the first male flower would be seen within 35 to 55 days roughly, which will be later followed by developing a female flower in one or two weeks (i.e., 42 to 62 days). 3. The fertilized female flower will take 10 to 12 days to produce fruits.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Squash vine borer

Eggs hatch in about 10 days and larvae bore into vines within hours. Larvae feed for 25-27 days and then leave plants to pupate 1-6 inches under the soil. Moths emerge from these pupae the next summer. In Michigan, there is one generation of squash vine borer per year.
Vine crops most susceptible to squash vine borer are jack-o-lantern pumpkins, summer squash, zucchini, acorn squash and Hubbard squash. They are not important pests of melons, cucumbers, watermelons, hard shell gourds, or squash and pumpkins cultivars from the Cucurbita moschata species, such as butternut squash, calabazas, neck pumpkins, French pumpkins or cheese pumpkins.

when do squash vine borer wasps emerge in illinois
The adults will emerge from mid-June to early July and lay eggs, primarily near the base of stems, but they can be found on other parts of the plant (elsewhere on stems and petioles). After the eggs are laid, they will start to hatch in about 10-14 days.

Plant late and protect. Put out transplants or plant seeds in mid-June. Then keep them covered with floating row cover until flowers open so the adult vine borer (a moth) can't get to the zucchini to lay its eggs. You'll still have time for plenty of zucchini and even more plantings.

How I Grew Late Squash Free of Squash Vine Borers.
Best Way to Prevent Squash Vine Borers and Squash Bugs

How to STOP the Squash Vine Borer! |This Actually Works|
Squash vine borers! How to get rid of them
Squash Vine Borers (& How to Still Enjoy Zucchini All Season Long)
Love this girl!!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
adult (squash vine borer moths) will emerge from mid-June to early July and lay eggs.
That means that HERE I don't want my squashes or melons or ANY vining garden plant to be flowering from Mid June to Mid July.
THIS year, I planted all of the pumpkins, etc. after the wasps were gone. I had two volunteer zucchini, and both were in the beds to the north of my garage.
One succumbed to a squash vine borer. I am NOT squimish. I found the sucker and squished him, after he had killed one of the zucchini.
The other zucchini ran out of enough sunlight to really produce. One fruit made it, and another fruit rotted. It's still growing now, but will die back with next week's frost.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Squash bugs
5 Easy Strategies to Thwart Your Gray Squash Bugs
1) floating row cover
2) crush eggs (snip them out of the leaf and put in soapy water)
3) destroy the nymphs
4) lay boards alongside plant stems, and lift boards early morning and stomp squash bugs
5) remove ALL squash debris--I would burn them

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Late plantings really do work! I harvested 7 pumpkins, mostly fully colored, several that need some more curing.
I got two huge, but dark green zucchini, one was a better harvest size.
I harvested what could have been a HUGE pumpkin with a longer growing season, but immature, about the size of child's play ball, and a handful of small, under ripe butternut squash.
As I said, I expected NOTHING BUT humidity cover for the sweet potatoes. When I harvested I cut/pulled by breaking, all of the sweet potato vines. Since it's raining, I will have to wait to see if they grew ANY sweet potatoes.'
Cleaning the porch today and tomorrow so that I can cure the rest of the pumpkins.
Gotta find some recipes to eat the immature squash!
I will plant a sooner (than 2022 late) squash planting next year, primarily to grow underneath weedy fencing.

Last edited: