Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here is my Haul from Friday. Family is eating on the ripe tomatoes, some are stored in the kitchen, and there are still tomatoes that I missed outside. It is still a good haul. Now begins the "kitchen table tomato ripening."
I go through All harvested tomatoes and segregate them.
The ripest get canned immediately, and I have to check the piles every 2 days. They have a mind of their own and will decide to rot just bc you looked at them funny, so not all make it.
Tomato harvest, 10-07-22.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your photos makes me think of the baskets residing on my deck - ripe tomatoes, or nearly. Reminds me also of my very recent post in the What did You Do thread:

Despite a very long growing season, my ONE volunteer tomato left to grow is loaded with large cherry size tomatoes but a volunteer tomato is once again likely to fail to ripen in the garden. The fruit size reminds me of Sweet Chelsea but I have not grown that variety for several years out there. Usually, volunteers are likely to be from the Sweet 100's but this is waaay bigger and I will usually have a few ripe tomatoes from what I suspect are those volunteer offspring - (usually very few).
I will save the green fruit but doubt if I will save seeds. The plant had a good opportunity to ripen fruit and didn't take advantage of it ;). Really, I've been a little disappointed in saving seed from hybrids. Disease resistance, I suspect, is sort of a stand-alone quality. The Early Girl offspring especially was vulnerable to alternaria, I believe it was. One could stand back about 50 feet and pick those 2 plants out of a row of tomatoes.

Open pollinated - a different story :). Usually, the decision on one that didn't breed true comes down to a ho-hum one after several seasons but, not always.

Volunteers certainly work for you ducks'!

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't grow any hot peppers this year.. I used dehydrated jalepanoes to grind up and heat up my party chili. I smelled the old coffee grinder that I now use for such things and it cleaned out my nose. Jalepanoes were put in the jar in 2019. They really hold their heat.
Jalapenos are good therapy for plugged sinuses... like eye drops in reverse. :lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was gonna post one of these on Picture of the Week, but...dunno.
This is the prettiest tomato I have grown this year and it is a Cherokee Purple.
Funny, it was on the garage side of my fencing. I had to pull it off and "walk" it up the other side of the fencing to the top and over bc the fencing is to shallow to pull it through, but it worked.
I have one tomato squished and growing on both sides!
ANYWAY, Please let me know which photo you like the best.
I am saving gardening pictures to a folder. DD says she will make me a 2023 calendar with them.
Here we go, vote for your Favorite, pls!
#1View attachment 52406
View attachment 52408
View attachment 52407
I like picture #1

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something else, off the cuff.
Would you REALLY buy paint This color?
Ugly. Sunbaked coral........ Coral grows under water, if it is sunbaked, that means it is dead and probably bleached white by the sun that is baking it. You gotta love the glowing reviews on a color that is just plain ugly.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugly. Sunbaked coral........ Coral grows under water, if it is sunbaked, that means it is dead and probably bleached white by the sun that is baking it. You gotta love the glowing reviews on a color that is just plain ugly.
:lol: Yeah, "Sunbaked Coral"? A poor connection between art & science when they thought up that one.
Looks more like Terracotta than coral... a color better for pots than paint, IMO.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TODAY I am harvesting:
Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans
(tiny) cucumbers
Turnips (SURPRISE!)
(tiny) sweet potatoes
Tomatoes:
1) Better Boy
2) Cherokee Purple
3) Oxheart (?) (pictures later)
4) Volunteer #1 ???
5) Volunteer #2 ???
6) Roma
7) Amish Paste
I spent 3 hrs before lunch, and I have more to get. :th
Supposed to be 34 tomorrow morning. HERE is the weather for the next few days:

Fri 14​

65°/36°
Mostly Sunny
2%
SW 18 mph

Sat 15​

61°/43°
Partly Cloudy
4%
W 9 mph

Sun 16​

63°/34°
Partly Cloudy
1%
W 14 mph

Mon 17​

47°/27°
Partly Cloudy
1%
NW 17 mph

Tue 18​

48°/29°
Mostly Sunny
0%
NW 15 mph
After this anything left has to love the cold...like 12 little cabbages I have out there, which have their Own story.

Latest posts