Ducks4you for 2022

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugly. Sunbaked coral........ Coral grows under water, if it is sunbaked, that means it is dead and probably bleached white by the sun that is baking it. You gotta love the glowing reviews on a color that is just plain ugly.

some people really like pastels and the western color pallette. i like a few of those colors, but the brighter ones would be the ones i'd pick like turquoise.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Brought in MORE tomatoes yesteday after lunch. I am satisfied with my haul from the tomato fencings south of the garage. There were 5 volunteers in the big garden, primarily in the sweet potato/pumpkin and squash bed. A few more weeks of nice weather and most of the fruit would have fully ripened, but brought them in green.
I found about 7 turnips. I tossed the almost 24 inch leaves and smallish turnips to the ponies. I suspect that those were volunteer turnip Greens bc I planted turnips and greens 2 years ago in this part of the garden and the next spring they popped up with flowers and seeds.
I did plant turnips, but not where I got the nicest haul. I will Definitely buy some more turnip seeds at the box stores. They are a nice edible filler plant.
Brought in aNOTHER gallon bag's worth of beans. It was so windy I had to take baling twine to tie down the tarp I put on top of the 5th row of fencing. I was thanking my past self for construction of same, since the beans enjoyed climbing the chicken wire and the construction held their weight. NOT best for tomatoes, but nice for other vining vegetables. Haven't decided what is growing there in 2023 YET.
My Scarlet Runner Beans from Seed Saver's came in yesterday! I will order from them, again. I gave them a small donation, and I like that you can do That, too.
If you haven't done so, I URGE you to order your seeds Right Now. I believe that in January there will be a panic and seeds and canning supplies are gonna disappear from the shelves.
Btw, you know how I love webinars. Here is one for October 20th, 2PM EST, in case you are interested.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frost was expected, NOT predicted. 33 at 7 AM but no frost, NO freeze.
High wind warning today, up to 35mph gusts, NOTHING like out west!
Bean row cover held. and I will leave it up until tomorrow. Saturday morning's low around 40.
I will be in town today, and it reminds me that 2 tarps need to be downgraded to garden covers bc they are a little worn, and should be replaced.
Fortunately, I have Harbor Freight coupons!! :weee:weee:weee

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't need coupons yesterday. They are having their "parking lot sale", which is Never outside anymore.

I bought:
(5) 5 x 7 1/2 ft tarps @$1.99/each
(2) Tactical Flashlight @ $7.99/each
1 pr cowhide work gloves @ $5.49
Replacement wheelbarrow tire @$27.99
18 inch magnetic tool holder @$2.99
6 Amp Reciprocating Saw $19.99
This one is like the one I gave DD's and has a lever that you pull to change blades, instead of turning and holding a spring loaded piece, kinda hard to use.
.30 CAL Ammo box @$6,49
With a couple of replacement plans, which Do pay off with the saws, I spent about $105.
Sale ends tomorrow.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
No work outside yesterday, all TOMATOES!!
Here is Friday's haul.
Harvest 10-14-22.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is harvesting on Friday, October 7th and Friday, October 14th. I left the 2 piles of spoiled tomatoes just to show the volume. I processed all ripe and a few almost ripe--got 10 quarts, 2 of which are more tomato juice and will be pressure canned with green beans today bc it seems dumb to partially fill the pressure canner. I put them on a rug on the porch, refridgerator temperatures in the low 40's last night. I will bury the skins and rotten tomatoes next to the garage, west side, for a more fertile future bed. there is one roaster lid full of blushing.
Harvest, 10-07 & 10-14-22.jpg

Latest posts