Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
thx! Funny, last canning I put in not quite ripe Cherokee Purple, and those are green. Opened one of those jars Sunday for dinner, had DD (chef) Smell before looking bc she thinks "green tomato=bad".
She agreed that the stuffed peppers wouldn't be ruined.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Post#293
I make broth specifically made to help Pyg (15yo if she makes Thanksgiving,) eat her Blue Buffalo dog food.
I feed her anything that they tell you NOT to feed your dog bc she will get fat!
She gets bread, scrambled eggs cooked in butter with cheese, leftover bacon, etc.
if you recall, she lost her front right leg to cancer 2 years ago. Don't want her heavy, but she has lost too much weight.
She still crums at the table and my chair (where I like to eat breakfast,) and she is Happy to lick bowls clean on the kitchen floor, so she's not ready to go YET.
Still wants to go out to do our "jobs", although Eva has taken over most of those jobs, including reminding Pyg Why she went outside and that it's time to go back INside.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
TOMATO SHORTAGE
"Other products that could be affected by the shortage
Tomatoes are used to make a variety of staple food items. Here are some products that could be affected due to their tomato-based ingredients.

• Ketchup
  • Pizza sauce
  • Frozen pizza
  • Marinara sauce
  • Salsa
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Tomato sauce, paste and juice"
Guess we better plant tomatoes next year! :lol:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt the tomato shortage will impact anyone here. We are more likely to be dealing with excess tomatoes, and risking back injury. :lol:

I do need to get better at that second tier though, making & canning more than just basic sauce. I've got salsa down to a science, but my efforts at ketchup have thus far fallen short of expectations. The online "best ketchup ever" recipes I've tried so far end up tasting more like barbecue sauce than ketchup... usable, but not something I'd put on burgers or fries.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
My vegetables (and animals) all talk to me. Don't yours?!?!?
These Cherokee Purple aren't quite ripe, but they are getting soft and get screaming at me:
"LEAVE ME AT YOUR PERIL! I SHOULD BE IN A GLASS JAR TO BE ADMIRED."
So, I am canning aGAIN, 2 days after the last canning.
I have decided to also can the red ones in the roaster in back. They could use another ripening day, but some of THEM are soft, too.
What can I say! @heirloomgal shucks bean pods...I stuff fruit into jars.
Tomatoes for canning, 10-27-22.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Done. 5 1/2 more, so now it's 72 and a 1/2 quarts finished. Probably labeled tomorrow. I have run out of pantry shelf space, so now the tomato jars are being boxed on the cement shelving and stacked. Dunno why I never thought to cool them on a pie rack before this season. :rolleyes:
Tomatoes canned, 10-27-22.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something else I just spotted as a growth medium, Jute.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Post#293
I make broth specifically made to help Pyg (15yo if she makes Thanksgiving,) eat her Blue Buffalo dog food.
I feed her anything that they tell you NOT to feed your dog bc she will get fat!
She gets bread, scrambled eggs cooked in butter with cheese, leftover bacon, etc.
if you recall, she lost her front right leg to cancer 2 years ago. Don't want her heavy, but she has lost too much weight.
She still crums at the table and my chair (where I like to eat breakfast,) and she is Happy to lick bowls clean on the kitchen floor, so she's not ready to go YET.
Still wants to go out to do our "jobs", although Eva has taken over most of those jobs, including reminding Pyg Why she went outside and that it's time to go back INside.
She lost one of her front legs to cancer?
Poor doggy!:hit
I guess the important thing is she's still here. 💝

Latest posts