Ducks4you for 2022

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...Guess we better plant tomatoes next year! :lol:

we plant them every year and for good reason as they are so versatile and also easy compared to how much we get in return.

as a kid Mom made something she called chili sauce and i really liked it, sweet and sour with cloves, tomatoes, celery and maybe onions and garlic too, but i've never been able to replicated it and she doesn't remember either and it wasn't a written down recipe. i could eat that stuff right out of the jar.

you do know that ketchup used to be made out of many other things besides tomatoes right? :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had heard that in the 18th century many sauces were made without tomatoes, and small tomatoes were grown just for sauce.
Here was yesterday's surprise--an okra that should have died.
Okra, 10-29-22.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Peas are able to do just fine in temperatures as low as 28 degrees F. (-2 C.) If temperatures don’t fall below this mark, peas and pea seedlings will be just fine.
When temps are between 20 and 28 degrees F. (-2 to -6 C.) peas can survive the cold but will suffer some damage. (This is assuming that the cold happens without an insulating blanket of snow.)

If snow has fallen and has covered the peas, the plants can tolerate temperatures as low as 10 degrees F. (-15 C.) or even 5 degrees F. (-12 C.) without suffering too much damage."

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/peas/how-low-of-a-temperature-can-peas-stand.htm

So far, we haven't dropped below 33 degrees F, and nothing below 38 degrees F for the next 10 days. This weekend is mild, mid next week in the 70's, and this is November:
Nov 1-7Rain and snow, then sunny; chilly
Nov 8-16Showers, cool
Nov 17-22Snow, cold
Nov 23-25Rain, mild
Nov 26-30Snow, very cold
This YEAR has been full of gardening experiments. I have PLENTY of sugar snap peas to planty in 2023--seeds viable for 2 years, but I have discovered that seeds older than that will often sprout. Probably have to start them indoors, then transplant.
Don't think We will get snow. My "area" , #6, looks like this, which is a large area of real estate. Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvaniua and New York will get their usual Lake Effect Snow, and we will probably be dry, but it Might happen.
1667063368777.png

"The sugar snap peas will be ready to harvest in six to eight weeks from sowing. "
Peas sprouted about 2 weeks ago.
LOVE that red fencing!
I have some short and green plastic covered fencing which hooks together and I Could, in the future, try peas on those. Great! bc I didn't know what to do with it.

Attachments

• Peas growing along short metal fencing.jpg
    Peas growing along short metal fencing.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Forgot that I planted some sugar snap peas, now up (below) There Just might be enough good weather to get a small harvest from them.View attachment 53023View attachment 53024
Lucky you! Peas growing!

I remember a couple years ago we were having gorgeous, almost hot weather in early May I think it was, possibly late April. I eagerly planted up all my raised pea planters. Within 2 days we had a very thick blanket of snow fall, and everything got covered. For a week. I thought for sure all was done for. Turned out most of the sweet tasting peas with wrinkled seeds did die, but all the smoother seeded peas grew just fine.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we had a freeze scheduled last week I removed the plants from DD's 3 planters out front. Earlier in the month I protected them from the frost with lawn/leaf bags, and they worked very well. I folded the bags up for future fillings.
The other plant (?) is a perennial and it comes inside this week to my basement bc it wasn't planted in time to develop good roots.

Attachments

• Blue pot of basil, covered against the frost, 10--14-22.jpg
    Blue pot of basil, covered against the frost, 10--14-22.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Pot covered against the frost, 10-14-22.jpg
    Pot covered against the frost, 10-14-22.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Pot covered against the frost#2, 10-14-22.jpg
    Pot covered against the frost#2, 10-14-22.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 43

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
More jars filled, now a total of 75
Funny, the pint's lid was popping and I had to re heat it this morning for a proper seal, NOW sealed correctly, but all are now put away in the pantry.
This weekend I have thrown away 5 tomatoes, cut up and ate 6 more on top of two frozen pizzas, which makes a cheapo pizza taste TERRIFIC, btw. We have two more frozen pizzas and one more oppotuniity in the next few weeks to have the same meal.
Tomatoes canned, 10-31-22.jpg