Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
On Post #707 I have a picture of surprise pumpkins, squash and zucchini that were growing under leaves and hidden until I pulled the bed apart. Today I cooked up one of those zucchini, fully 15 inches long.
I made fried zucchini with parmesean. Coat with olive oil and garlic powder, (salt, optional for me), pepper, and I used a carrot grater on the block of parmesean, cooked at 450 for 20 minutes, then nuked on hi broil for 5 minutes. I had one tray to go with tonight's Spaghetti and tomato sauce, and a smaller tray for me to sample. I REALLY like it!
The skins were tough, so I pealed that off. The centers were tender.
They Should have been tough, but not so. Oh, Yeah, I had spaghetti w/zucchini and sauce for lunch today.

Attachments

• Zucchini to be fried, 11-01-22.jpg
    Zucchini to be fried, 11-01-22.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Zucchini fried, 11-01-22.jpg
    Zucchini fried, 11-01-22.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Zucchini fried and on the plate, 11-01-22.jpg
    Zucchini fried and on the plate, 11-01-22.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Zucchini fried in spaghetti on the plate, 11-01-22.jpg
    Zucchini fried in spaghetti on the plate, 11-01-22.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 43

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On Post #707 I have a picture of surprise pumpkins, squash and zucchini that were growing under leaves and hidden until I pulled the bed apart. Today I cooked up one of those zucchini, fully 15 inches long.
I made fried zucchini with parmesean. Coat with olive oil and garlic powder, (salt, optional for me), pepper, and I used a carrot grater on the block of parmesean, cooked at 450 for 20 minutes, then nuked on hi broil for 5 minutes. I had one tray to go with tonight's Spaghetti and tomato sauce, and a smaller tray for me to sample. I REALLY like it!
The skins were tough, so I pealed that off. The centers were tender.
They Should have been tough, but not so. Oh, Yeah, I had spaghetti w/zucchini and sauce for lunch today.
Looks SO YUMMY!!!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I too found a couple missed zucchini while clearing the gardens, as well as yet another "Little Greenseed" pumpkin. It's amazing how well squash can hide beneath the foliage. The smaller zucchini was frost nipped & had to be thrown out; but the big one is OK, and I will be cooking it some time this week. That recipe looks great, @ducks4you , thanks for the suggestion.

After clearing the gardens, I added a lot of fallen leaves collected from my & my neighbors' yards, then mowed over everything to make it easier to turn it all under. In the process, found 2 more things I had missed - a couple small ears of "Painted Mountain" corn. After examination, those were left for deer food... apparently longer DTM than the majority, so not worth adding to my saved seed. I threw them into the tree line though, don't want to give my resident deer the impression that the garden is worth jumping into. :rolleyes: Those deer were remarkably well behaved this year... their omnipresent droppings were more annoying than the occasional minor damage.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ended up going to 2/3 Local ALDI's. After 11AM they stack up all unsold Wine Calendars and Beer Calendars close to checkout.
Illinois charged me 12% tax on ALL OF THEM!!! :somad
Would that I could just tip the clerk's 12% instead.
I bought a total of 5 of them for:
1) Youngest DD
2) Middle DD
3) Other atty in the office
4) Me ?!?!?
5) That last minute gift that DH can't figure out...bc this happens every year.
They still ring up "limit 2," but the clerk can do multiple transactions.
SO... if you want one or two there is still time. They will all be gone at the end of today.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the tomatoes left will be eaten in the next few days. DH says he doesn't want any romas, so I might be able to can a few more pints.
I have thought about doing the box where you wrap them up in newspaper. Seems like you will still be fishing out rotten ones...might as well simply check them every day.
Started beef broth yesterday, been cooking on high in the crock pot for almost 24 hrs. I am defrosting a chuck roast and will pull some to the small crock pot to cook vegetables around 2PM, and I plan to pressure can what is left tonight.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is NOT a new idea.
HERE is the author
of the original book
published 1982
and inspired Brie Arthur
who applied these ideas on "foodscaping" to her suburban NC property, where her HOA didn't approve,
then she won "Front Yard of the Year."

Latest posts