Earthquake front or rear tine tiller?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Of course the solution to that is to spend thousands more, right?
I am absolutely fine buying the right tool for the job. The problem is cash when you realize the right solution is 3k more than you already spent and what you spent was already causing you a deep breath. Haha!!!

Riding mower was great, but I really need a zero turn. Know what I don't have space for in my garage? A zero turn mower. What's the solution to that? Build a shed that'll probably cost me 5-6k. Or I could buy one outright for 8-10k, both of which I don't have the cash for. Haha!!!

Anyways, that's kind of what drove me to getting and ATV. I needed something way faster and stronger than my "garden tractor" and that I could put a blade on for plowing my driveway. It's been such a worthwhile purchase so far.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is off topic Sprig, but we had two metal buildings erected last summer, dh got a shop, and I got a 20'x24' hay barn (three sides, open front).
My barn was $3500 installed. It holds many tons of hay (a years worth), my Farmall Cub, my work trailer, summer patio furniture, garden supplies, and all my feed barrels. I don't know what we ever did without it.
I'm just relating this because we costed out dh building something similar with wood framing and even with his free labor it would have cost more than the all metal building. I realize it's not in your budget, just something to consider for another day.

1612287303785.jpeg

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a cub cadet we purchased before we moved here, and I am not kidding when I say it has saved me hours and hours of labor already. When we broke ground on our main garden I set the depth at about 3” inches to bust up the sod and rake off. Next I set it for full depth and it tilled virgin ground without resistance, it would have been a weekend project with a front tine and a shovel. We have made flower beds and border beds in our yard with it in just short amount of time. Projects that used to take a weekend can now be completed Saturday morning and leave lots of time to do other things. I suggest if you are going to purchase a tiller, take the front tine idea off the table and purchase a rear tine only. We purchased our cub cadet from Home Depot for $700.0 bucks about 5 years ago and have put it thru some pretty rough use and still starts on first pull.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom, I really like those metal buildings they have so many uses. I have been slowly trying to persuade Angie into getting one for raising sheep or goats . It could hold all the feed and supplies and an under cover area for animals. Did it get anchored down or are the heavy enough to free stand.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is off topic Sprig, but we had two metal buildings erected last summer, dh got a shop, and I got a 20'x24' hay barn (three sides, open front).
My barn was $3500 installed. It holds many tons of hay (a years worth), my Farmall Cub, my work trailer, summer patio furniture, garden supplies, and all my feed barrels. I don't know what we ever did without it.
I'm just relating this because we costed out dh building something similar with wood framing and even with his free labor it would have cost more than the all metal building. I realize it's not in your budget, just something to consider for another day.

View attachment 38955
Not off topic at all, since I kind of brought the discussion that direction ;). Thanks for that info. That's really helpful to know. Yeah, I go into it thinking "I could build that shed" but then fail to think that that requires a good amount of time and I have a serious lack of experience in that realm. Again, I wish my dad was still around.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom, I really like those metal buildings they have so many uses. I have been slowly trying to persuade Angie into getting one for raising sheep or goats . It could hold all the feed and supplies and an under cover area for animals. Did it get anchored down or are the heavy enough to free stand.

They are anchored. I spent a little extra ($15 each I think) on 6 of the extra heavy duty anchors for mine because it's open ended and faces north. But the installers said they didn't think it was necessary. Cheap peace of mind for me though.
The company said they have only once had a building blow, and that was out on the flat plains and the cattle had turned the ground to mush around the whole exterior. The winds were over 70mph.

I would for sure do it again. It went up in under a day. They are based down in Pendleton and come up here all the time for installs.
If you're interested in more info I'd be happy to share.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Garden tractor" would be the term and I bought it excitedly in haste and realized after that really it's just a glorified riding mower and as I've discussed it with another dealer than the one I bought it from they've said "yeah, this isn't expected to be used in the way you want.

So really I was told it would be awesome and it has proved to be sub par :/. Husqvarna has a great sales pitch!!!

well considering the cost of a good tiller might be in the range i'm thinking, perhaps a serious conversation with them about trading in and trading up might be just as effective and also give you more of what you actually wanted.

plus also giving them a happier customer.

thought worth considering IMO.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
well considering the cost of a good tiller might be in the range i'm thinking, perhaps a serious conversation with them about trading in and trading up might be just as effective and also give you more of what you actually wanted.

plus also giving them a happier customer.

thought worth considering IMO.
ha. You saying a subcompact is in my future?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would suggest that a tremendous amount of gardening tools and equipment, including tillers, is and will be even more so available shortly. This covid boom aftermath is my angle. I paid 400 for my tiller off craigslist back in the day and the paint was fresh on the tines. Tillers have a lot in common with porsches I suspect. And as the stay at home boom wanes the equipment will be sold off.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i don't know what that means and my search didn't bring up anything that looked like what i thought a tractor that could do tilling from them would be like. :( perhaps they don't have what i thought they might.

i just do things with a shovel here. :)

Latest posts