Earthquake front or rear tine tiller?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have just learned about these "counter" rear tine tillers.

The Craftsman tillers that I have used for about 20 years had both forward and reverse tine rotation. Forward would move the machine quickly and was useful for killing weeds or a shallow cultivation. It was useful on uneven ground.

Tines turning counter to the forward motion of the wheels was slower but allowed for deeper cultivation. However, it was more difficult to hold the tiller in a straight line, I often had to do quite a lot of pushing, but the machine did a more thorough job.

It didn't occur to me that tines turning counter to the wheels might be the only option for use on some models. Some are limited to forward turning tines. I imagine that only heavier models with wheels and tines both moving forward would do a good job on my rocky soil.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have just learned about these "counter" rear tine tillers.

The Craftsman tillers that I have used for about 20 years had both forward and reverse tine rotation. Forward would move the machine quickly and was useful for killing weeds or a shallow cultivation. It was useful on uneven ground.

Tines turning counter to the forward motion of the wheels was slower but allowed for deeper cultivation. However, it was more difficult to hold the tiller in a straight line, I often had to do quite a lot of pushing, but the machine did a more thorough job.

It didn't occur to me that tines turning counter to the wheels might be the only option for use on some models. Some are limited to forward turning tines. I imagine that only heavier models with wheels and tines both moving forward would do a good job on my rocky soil.

Steve
Why have only one tiller when you can two at twice the price?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone got a clue?
They sell the cub cadets at Home Depot. I have been to three different store locations in the past week or so and none of them have the cub cadet tillers out yet. They still have the wood splitters and snowblowers out , so maybe the factory is slow at putting out the spring/ summer lineup.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

You can add it to CART
yeah, I saw in the Yard Equipment page you can click the Add to Cart via the Recommended Products section, but it actually doesn't add it and if you go to the page for it you can't add it. Just curious if that means they're getting ready to post new products or if they're retiring stuff. Figured if they were posting new products they would have already done that, but maybe not.

I'm still planning on watching FB and CL for used ones this spring in case a gem pops up before buying new :)

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/yard-equipment

Latest posts