Eating Well on a Budget

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Creme Fraiche"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crème_fraîche

While on the subject, (thought it REALLY leaves the "eating on a budget" idea. I d like the occasional crabby melt. What this consists of is taking a can of crab draining it, putting it in the blender with some mayo, some lemon juice some sandwich sprinkle (a spice mix made of salt, pepper garlic and Italian seasoning, more or less) running it until it's pasty then getting some decent quality white bread, buttering a pan, frying one side of the bread, adding a slice or two of American Cheese and a chopped up scallion to each side, adding the crab salad paste putting the two halves together to make a sandwich and eating it. It's basically the crab version of the same way I make a tuna melt.

The reason I say it leaves the budget thing is that I use the cans of crab meat that you get in the cold section of the seafood section of the supermarket, since I can't STAND the shelf stable stuff (and not being from a sea shore family, I never learned how to get the meat from an actual crab; I can barely do a lobster.) and those are expensive.

I also don't do it all that often because it is really wasteful. Those cans typically hold about 2-3 pounds of crab, which is enough for at least 3 sandwiches, which is WAY more than I can eat at one sitting. But since I only one one period every now and again (and there are few, if any things I or my family use crab for otherwise) making one means either trying to choke 3 sandwiches down at once or letting 2/3 of a can of VERY expensive crabmeat go to waste (no, you can't freeze it) But few companies make a smaller package.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...Those cans typically hold about 2-3 pounds of crab, which is enough for at least 3 sandwiches, which is WAY more than I can eat at one sitting. But since I only one one period every now and again (and there are few, if any things I or my family use crab for otherwise) making one means either trying to choke 3 sandwiches down at once or letting 2/3 of a can of VERY expensive crabmeat go to waste (no, you can't freeze it) But few companies make a smaller package.

from what i can tell the ingredients you list should be ok even after blended up and put in the fridge for a few days. lemon juice and salt would both be helping in that regards. i could easily eat something like this three days in a row.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which would be fine, except my "even now and again" I mean maybe once every three MONTHS, not days. For me, it's a fairly heavy, greasy thing, so trying to eat it three days in a row would more or less guarantee three days of bowel issues (I often get bad once from having it ONCE, same as pretty much everything else.)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A very cost-effective and balanced meal - eggs and veggies from the backyard; grilled chicken thigh costs 1.5 Euro.
View attachment 51953
You are not kidding. Not only will we eat them or take the meat for dehydrated pet treats (think cats love the fat) I save the bones and bits for roasted chicken broth. This makes me smile at the pets when they poopee.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You Southerners and your "Creole French!" :lol:
Well haha and no.. this is actually french french. Since the french style of cooking really emerged with the first restuarant ever (bastille day) its been a country style as no refridgeration existed. I have been observing how much fermentation they used. Even those baguettes and the other breads were sourdoughs underneath the process. No surprise it came to the cream.

These people are serious;

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Simple and quick lunch~
9173.jpg

Latest posts