Egg shells to add calcium?

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When you say plant 80% deep, I would need to strip off the bottom leaves, right?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
When you say plant 80% deep, I would need to strip off the bottom leaves, right?
remove those bottom branches and bury 80% of the plant. Where you remove leaves and branches there will be even MORE root to take hold under the plant.

I did this last year and had some of the hugest healthiest plants ever (minus the blight issue). :D

Slywoody

Sprout
Reaction score
:) I throw all my eggshells in the garden and my flower beds. :cool:

Can't seem to upload my avatar,,,,,,, :idunno :old

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I had found a great article about adding the eggshell mixed with bonemeal and a handful of compost to each hole that you dig (super DEEP) for you tomatoes. You break off the bottom branches of the tomato plant and then bury 80% of the plant with the shell/bonemeal/compost mixture at the bottom.

Obsessed, I think oyster shell would work, but takes longer to seep calcium into the soil.

I think there is something else in that mix... I gotta go look it up!
I also remove the bottom leaves and bury my tomatoes really deep. as I mentioned another time, I also know that if they get too tall before planting you can make a trench, bury them except for the tops, they like that long root system either way, and in a trench they are closer to the warmth of the top soil, which can be good for some seasons, ..if its hot and dry, then I just mulch heavily.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Slywoody said:
:) I throw all my eggshells in the garden and my flower beds. :cool:

Can't seem to upload my avatar,,,,,,, :idunno :old
Hi Woody!! Good to see you!!!!!:frow

OK-I am sold; will plant 80% deep! Shouldn't be a problem, as I plan to give my plants (especially my tomatoes) a lot more room per plant this year.

Slywoody

Sprout
Reaction score
:) Hey Desertgirl, Good to see you too!!! Love your avatar!!!!!!!!
I still have a ways to go yet before planting anything. Still snow on the ground and about 3 ft of frost lol,,,,,, :idunno

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
BRRRR!!!! Hope you and The Gang are staying warm!;)

Can't wait to pick your brain about flowers this season!!!:happy_flower

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been saving my duck shells and was going to add them to my tomatoes this year. I need to put them into the bottom of the hole? But I was going to sprinkle them around the base of the plant and let them soak down.

I already pull off the leaves and plant them deep to help develop a strong root system. This makes a huge difference in your plant. My brother doesn't so we plant our tomatoes mine are 4 inches high and his are almost a foot. He rasses me for about a month and then goes silent. At this point mine might not be a tall as his but look like they're on steroids. They are full and leafy green and his are just store bought tomatoes.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah Hunkie, my neighbor gave me brass about my tomatoes last year too doing it that way. Mine were more then 6ft tall... his were never staked and probably only grew 3' before they gave in and flopped over, very twiggy.

Either way, you can add egg shells to the top or bottom or both! I prefer the base for right away... gives them a good boost right from the root where they are putting all their growth energy into.

There was something else suggested to go into the hole, and for the life of me I can't remember!

But on the 13th I am taking a Veggie planting class at a local nursery. They are going to go over some of the things to expect from popular variety plants like peppers and tomatoes. They are also going to talk a bit about berry bushes and pruning fruit trees.

I hope they cover more on tomatoes. :D

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pelletized lime works as fast and is cheaper than the milk. Most is natural, just been processed if it is "chemical free" you are looking for.

Latest posts