Egg shells to add calcium?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I too add egg shells in inconsistent intervals throughout the growing season and usually some when planting. Also I bury my tomatoes deep to ensure good root growth. Oyster shell works in about the same amount of time. We did some testing about calcium absorption a year or so back and found it to be pretty equal in break down rates.

A note about pelletized lime- it will also adjust the acidity of your soil by increasing the pH which may be an issue if your soil is a bit on the "sweeter" side already. Pelletized gypsum, which is pH neutral, can also add calcium and sulfur to soils but tends to be pricier for my taste than free eggshells.

Carlos

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
http://www.meadows.pair.com/bonemealandvcjd.html

I have spoken about this before.

I wish you would all be careful with the use of bone meal. If you insist on using it, they have a liquid form available. The above link is an easy read. I read the article first to make sure this person was given the correct information. It is accurate. His links are to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) a US government site.

AS for the book he mentions .Deadly FeastsI read this twelve years ago, or rather I bought and listen to the tape. I listened to the author explaining CJD and the epidemic in Brittan. He explained the discovery and the science behind these occurrences. There is no doubt in my mind that this product is a much underrated and a dangerous product and is not given the respect that it needs when used.

There are many forms of this prion. The mass and reckless processing of our animals for food has caused this aberration. There are also farmers and hunters in this country coming down with what they call mysterious diseases. One suspect is venison. These are hoofed animals. If someone is diagnosed with Alzheimers no one gets excited. Both of these diseases cause holes in the brain. Science has been pointing in this direction for a long time, that Alzheimers may be a form of this disease. They say a word to the wise is sufficient.

Im sorry, I have no pity for fools, especially ..when in my good faith I have passed on some information of concern and then someone says.Oh, gee I dont care.we are all going to die of something sometime. I think that I would rather have a choice of how I spend my last years on this earth and not end up as a slobbering idiot trapped in an unresponsive body. Think about that really hard. Holes in your brain. Are your children downwind of you or standing next to you when you spread this stuff? You may end up being lucky, however , will this child be a victim of Alzheimers? :old

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Going the egg shell direction would work - slower but works. My problem there is finding egg shells for 50 tomato plants.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would think it would be too hard. I am saving my duck egg shell, the chicken shell I normally give back to the chickens. I put them in a plastic container and let them dry. Then use a coffee cup and smash them into small pieces. They don't take up much space and you have some time before planting.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Yeah Hunkie, my neighbor gave me brass about my tomatoes last year too doing it that way. Mine were more then 6ft tall... his were never staked and probably only grew 3' before they gave in and flopped over, very twiggy.

Either way, you can add egg shells to the top or bottom or both! I prefer the base for right away... gives them a good boost right from the root where they are putting all their growth energy into.

There was something else suggested to go into the hole, and for the life of me I can't remember!
:frow :frow

I think it's a raw fish head, vfem ! :D

I seem to remember the post because I had never heard of it before!

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have notice there are like 4 people on this site that know everything and the rest of us just wait for your next tidbit of knowledge. Thanks for the links.

Latest posts