El nino, weird or what?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weather here took a turn for the worse. Ugh. Very windy, rain/sleet/ snow mix. It is supposed to do this all day and overnight. May get up to 5 inches snow. Thankfully no more. And I hope the ice does not cause to many problems. I am staying indoors and trying to do some housework, but all I really want is a nap!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the fireplace ready to fire up. Water in the tub for flushing should the power go out. And everything I need to heat water for DH's coffee. We should be safe -- I'm not going out in this weather if I can help it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the fireplace ready to fire up. Water in the tub for flushing should the power go out. And everything I need to heat water for DH's coffee. We should be safe -- I'm not going out in this weather if I can help it.
Good, staying in is the best idea. Thanks for the reminder to put water in bathroom, just in case. But we do not have a working fireplace or gas range. If power goes out I will have to get DH home to start the generator. At least it will run the fridge and furnace. ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a 23 hour power outage we had once I bought a propane cooking surface (camping quality), extra fuel, and everything I'd need for grilling out. Not eating cold bean and wieners again if I can help it.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here in SC we have been having rain, temps in the 70's daytime, 60's night time, and my rose bush and clematis are happily blooming away.
We have so much mud out there right now, I had to dig out my muck boots to get to the 3 pens to do chicken chores.
The back smaller pen, a chain link dog kennel, is mired in mud. People in the Midlands and Upstate SC are now having septic tank issues, as the leach fields are no longer able to do their job. Ours makes funny noises when I am out back by that one pen. DH had to get his Kubota out the other day and hook up the potato plow...and plow the yard up to see if it would help the drainage. It didn't. He got the furrow going the wrong way and it backed the water up in that area more. :oops: :(

The 6 chickens in that pen are walking in mud right now, and it is so muddy that there is no way to relocate that pen. We had moved their chicken tractor to the back of the pen, so they could get up out of the mud. Now it is stuck there till it dries out. Rooster right outside the bedroom window. He likes to crow at 3 am :barnie

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never gave a thought to all the rain causing havoc with our septic tank leach field. I better not mention this to DH--He doesn't need another thing to start worrying about.
The rain finally stopped here yesterday. Now cold and windy for a few days.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I never gave a thought to all the rain causing havoc with our septic tank leach field. I better not mention this to DH--He doesn't need another thing to start worrying about.
The rain finally stopped here yesterday. Now cold and windy for a few days.

I don't think there is anything you can do until it happens. We don't know if our leach field is compromised. Just DH coming home with others saying theirs is. Backing up into the house from all of the saturation already in the soil.

Latest posts