Elephant Ear Question

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown mine in a pot, years ago...can't remember if they reproduced. But they really multiply when planted in the ground. With your wonderful climate- I predict great success! I love cobalt blue!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two weeks later and I still have only one up and not very tall at that! The bulbs looked fine and healthy when I planted them anyway. It has been averaging 85 each day.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went out of town this weekend and I stopped at a TSC on the way. I found a elephant ear bulb on sale for $2.99 Yay! I will plant it tomorrow in a hugh cobalt pot. I just bought one. I hope that was enough. Not sure if I am supposed to plant several in a pot that big. I guess I could always plant other stuff around it.

Mary

Hey @ninnymary - did your TSC elephant ear ever come up? Mine has not shown up yet. I think mine was a dud.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
4 out of 5 of mine at this point must be duds too. :( I got mine from Walmart and planted them right away.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't give up yet, Journey! I find mine pop up and look the best, about a minute before they get hit with frost....

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They can take a very long time to sprout. We had one that didn't look like it was going to do anything after two months inside so it went into the compost. I guess a squirrel pulled it out and it ended up in the middle of a bleeding heart. I saw it there and it had started to sprout. Put it into another pot but it never really got going when the frost hit. They can take FOREVER to grow.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, mine doesn't look that great. The leaves are small and they seem to have yellowing as in too much watering.

photo (16).JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary We have planted ours in pots and set pots in shallow part of pond. So constantly wet feet. They do not mind at all. Not sure why yours would be yellowing. I am trying to remember if they don't start out a bit pale and green up as they got bigger.

Latest posts