Elephant Ear Question

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have accidentally left a few in the ground- they rot nicely by spring! As Canesisters says- super easy to store. Just dig and wait for spring!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never dig my glads anymore, so I was hoping I could get away with something. :D

The poor dahlias might stand a better chance if I left them be...LOL. I end up killing most of them in storage. And I killed my red passion vine that had to come inside for winter too. :p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never dig my glads anymore, so I was hoping I could get away with something. :D

The poor dahlias might stand a better chance if I left them be...LOL. I end up killing most of them in storage. And I killed my red passion vine that had to come inside for winter too. :p

Yeah, if plants could talk.... I'm a regular hit man with my starts some years, and I don't dig and store anymore. I dug my clients EE's and brought them home to store for this year, left them in the garage for the fall, and forgot about them.
Found a messy ball of slush later on. :eek: They aren't real forgiving. I guess it worked out okay though, because Mr. Client told his wife, who told me, that I was not to plant those again. :\
Gotcha, no worries, you won't be seeing those again. :D

@ninnymary, they lasted all summer until the first frost. I thought they were gorgeous and was really impressed with their size and drama.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was at my friends greenhouse, she had huge ee's. I was impressed. I asked her when she planted them, and she said they were several years old. She brings the whole container in for the winter. I like that idea! They have such a great tropical look, they would be fun to look at in January. Said you need to watch for white flies.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't wait to try them next year. Wonder how they would do here? My angel trumpet never dies down in the winter. It would be great if I could just leave them in their pot year round. I'm kinda lazy and would forget them in the shed for future planting. Somebody remind me that I want them come next spring because I just might forget that! :old

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, why don't you try an experiment. Plant some in the ground and leave them. See what they do. In New Orleans I put some in the ground. They not only came back every year, they multiplied like crazy. They would die down in the winter but come back with a vengeance. You can bring some in if you want overwinter, but what do you have to lose if you leave a few in the ground and see what happens?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't wait to try them next year. Wonder how they would do here? My angel trumpet never dies down in the winter. It would be great if I could just leave them in their pot year round. I'm kinda lazy and would forget them in the shed for future planting. Somebody remind me that I want them come next spring because I just might forget that! :old

Mary

it's certainly not too late to grow them this year Mary. Not starting from bulbs of course, but the nurseries around here that sell more of the decor type garden supplies always have some potted up. I saw some of the black ones yesterday, now
those
have drama!

Latest posts