Elevated bed for herbs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in such an arid climate having indoor plants is a good way to help add some moisture to your rooms, plus who can resist playing in the dirt/potting soil? :) consider making some small terrariums to give away or flowers to give away. it is always so nice to have some plants and flowers around. it was my own space of sanity as a kid when i would come home from school and unwind by tinkering with my houseplants.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, my 93 yr. old neighbor had a small raised bed that was on legs for lack of a better word. It was about 3 ft tall and about 2x3 ft.

Grow the herbs that you think you would use to sprinkle on your meals. Maybe lemon verbena for some tea?

Mary

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I no longer have a place to raise vegetables and probably wouldn't be physically able. I can still get down but it's Hell to get back up, but I have a strong urge to grow something. Even a weed would be welcome at this point. :(
I was thinking of an elevated bed; sort of a table with sides that can be filled with potting soil. It would have to be somewhere around 6 x3 feet or less since our patios are quite small. That would let me grow a few herbs.
In this dry heat here in the desert it would probably need to be watered several times a day and the herbs would have to be heat and drought resistant. Suggestions?
Because of heat, these hot weather herbs won't produce the essential oils that provide their distinctive aroma and flavour.
  • Dill.
  • Fennel.
  • Winter savoury.
  • Yarrow.
  • Licorice.
  • Marjoram.
  • Lemon verbena.
  • Lavender.
But it will last and won't die on you... Happy planting!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My BIL built these. They did pretty well - tomatoes, melons, cukes, peppers.....

facebook_1578842567026.jpg

facebook_1578842632093.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what I'll have when I get too be too old to bend over! Does it make it hard to harvest tomatoes? My tomatoes grow at least 7' so I can't imagine being able to reach them if they are then off the ground by that much.

Mary

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's what I'll have when I get too be too old to bend over! Does it make it hard to harvest tomatoes? My tomatoes grow at least 7' so I can't imagine being able to reach them if they are then off the ground by that much.

Mary
How high is it being elevated? I think as high as you can reach them. it's safe to have them elevated. but not too high i guess..

Latest posts