Ethical Question

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, we're good at that. Well, at least we didn't have to resort to talkin' about beans. :p

And all this talking about ribs is making me crave some. :drool Gotta go to the store tomorrow anyway.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never had rhubarb. If anyone would like to make the Rhubarb BBQ sauce and send me a jar, I will write a glowing review of your culinary prowess!! :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, SeedO, that is rather what I thought. Much as I love education and teaching, I realize that today, most public school curriculum has been watered down and has a leftist lean.

As a fifth grade teacher, I was the only one who spent more than a week on the Revolutionary War and our Founding Fathers. I was the only teacher who introduced our two most precious documents -- The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. (The only one with a student approaching the School Board about the "cruel and inhumane treatment" resulting from not having air conditioning in the school.);)

I was the only teacher who covered Civil War and the true causes of this war. In addition my students learned one American song each month, (and sang it for the school the last Friday of each month). Not one of our historically American songs are learned in music class from K through 6 anymore even though songs from other countries are taught. My students memorized (at least part of) one American poem each month. My students were the only ones in the school who not only recited the Pledge of Allegiance correctly, but could explain the meaning of each word. In a rural white district, I was the only teacher who addressed Black history more deeply than an occasional handout.

Granted, I never finished the text book, but racing past what makes America exceptional in order to cover everything and learn nothing wouldn't do justice to my students. This was back when a teacher could close the door and pretty much teach anything as long as the students did well on testing.

Teaching now isn't the same and isn't as much fun anymore. Sigh!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, SeedO, that is rather what I thought. Much as I love education and teaching, I realize that today, most public school curriculum has been watered down and has a leftist lean.

As a fifth grade teacher, I was the only one who spent more than a week on the Revolutionary War and our Founding Fathers. I was the only teacher who introduced our two most precious documents -- The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. (The only one with a student approaching the School Board about the "cruel and inhumane treatment" resulting from not having air conditioning in the school.);)

I was the only teacher who covered Civil War and the true causes of this war. In addition my students learned one American song each month, (and sang it for the school the last Friday of each month). Not one of our historically American songs are learned in music class from K through 6 anymore even though songs from other countries are taught. My students memorized (at least part of) one American poem each month. My students were the only ones in the school who not only recited the Pledge of Allegiance correctly, but could explain the meaning of each word. In a rural white district, I was the only teacher who addressed Black history more deeply than an occasional handout.

Granted, I never finished the text book, but racing past what makes America exceptional in order to cover everything and learn nothing wouldn't do justice to my students. This was back when a teacher could close the door and pretty much teach anything as long as the students did well on testing.

Teaching now isn't the same and isn't as much fun anymore. Sigh!
I was just thinking you probably couldn't get away with that now.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Life is what you make it. Want to see the terrible side of public education it's there. If you want it, there's a great education to be had there as well. It's all about the student and the parents.

Home schooling has same problems. I've known students that were educated but I've also seen where it's just a pretense to complain and their kids do more running around with their parents than anything. They lack social skills and are stupid-not a good combination. But they know government programs!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a ton of problems in the public schools. It happens in every community rich or poor. We grow from the good as well as the bad. A child avoiding the difficulties of the bad parts of life robs them of the things that strengthen them. I cannot see how one or 2 parents can educate a child the way the one hundred or so teachers that a child encounters can. The greater teachers are all the students a child comes in contact with. Yes the good with the bad. I'm sure there is a lot you can teach yourself online. It does not compensate for all the missed moments that a school community affords.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a bit biased - my daughter is a first grade teacher in WI (public school), and my DIL is an Ag-Ed and shop teacher who has taught in public schools in CO and MN. I also have several friends who are teachers, both public and private schools.

Every area, every school and every teacher is unique, as well as what every student will experience in school. I'm glad there are choices out there for different environments for learning, but they are options not available for the majority of kids. Home schooling or online school may benefit some kids in some ways, but IMHO not the majority.

@TheSeedObsesser - you excel at home school/internet because you are a motivated learner and you have the support you need. All kids don't have those things.

@Smart Red - many things have changed, not all bad. Some subjects are not as in-depth as years ago. Math, science, creative writing, and technology take up much more classroom time, even in my daughter's first grade class. I agree, kids should learn everything, but they also need to be prepared for the future. I'm glad my kids had great teachers, like you are! :)

@seedcorn - I agree, there is great education out there if you want it, even in public schools.

Kids will get academics from school but they get their values and goals from home and community.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL, @catjac1975 , you speak as if you believe we put them in a box and sit on it all day. :rolleyes:

I'm am well convinced that there are plenty of advantages to NOT following the herd, both academically and socially. My goal is to guide and insulate my children, not isolate them. Having the right and freedom to direct my children's upbringing and education is very important to me. Thank God we all still currently have the right to make those choices as most appropriate for our individual families. Regardless of where a child attends school, it is parental influence that will make the difference. Everyone's needs and life situation are different. Opinions are like...well, you know the saying. To each their own. It would sure be nice if we could all learn to respect each others' differences and choices without having to resort to stereotypes and preconceived notions. (All those children out there running around with their families, shopping, socializing, going to clubs, co-ops, whatever...well, we don't operate on the public school's timeline, nor are we required to. Concentrated, individually-tailored, one-on-one learning takes far less of our time each day than it would to be shuttled through a typical public-school day. What takes 8 hours to accomplish there takes us on average 3 hours daily for formal academics, leaving plenty of time for real-life application of what we've studied and time to live life and just simply enjoy the day. I surely don't spend over $900 a year on curriculum just to goof off all day.)

But I am not here to fight. Sorry to have been involved in the derailing of this thread. It appears that it was headed south pretty quickly anyway. I thought better to stay away from it. Yep, just have to live with that regret, I guess.

Nyboy, I am sorry for your friend's devastating illness and I totally understand your desire to do something to help him. I would be reluctant myself if it were breaking the law, considering the repercussions, but I suppose I would consider it under those circumstances if it were legal in my state.

Last edited:

Latest posts