Expensive trip to Tractor Supply

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, Bug has been after us to go see the chicks at TSC for the last couple weeks. Today we needed to go get some compost and whatnot. I had been there the day before because we needed dog food. Well, then we started playing Oregon Trail at Virtual Apple and they all decided they didn't want to go. I knew we needed the compost so I INSISTED that we go. Apparently that was a big mistake.

We get there and of course they have the absolute cutest chicks and ducks that you have ever seen. Bug starts pestering Sam about getting some. I keep saying no because we don't have a coop or anything. She starts crying and Sam caves. "Of course we can get a couple ducks Bug!" :barnie

So... now in my master bathtub we have 2 (I think) Mallard ducklings. They named them Phineas and Ferb. :th

2012-03-31132730.jpg

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And now that I've looked up ducklings.... I think they're Rouen ducklings and not Mallard. :-D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie,
Don't you just love going to Tractor Supply! :love I first noticed they had chicks and duckling there from their website. I'll be visiting down south for this Easter weekend and I always want to go to Tractor Supply. I never want to leave, I can't help it. Once I see those chicks I'm sure I'm going to want to get a few. Hmmm imagine if they had other kinds of poultry.
Just in case I do get a few how much were they? I know they sell a different breed every week.
Now that Easter's right around the corner I bet they'll have plenty of them in the stores.

Enjoy your ducklings, their very cute!! ;) Hey, maybe your lucky and have a male and female, that would be great!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If there is anything more adorable than a duckling, I certainly haven't seen it!! I hope someday, I will be able to have a few...do you have a pond?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Alan brought me home some ducks this week, too.

One is just an ordinary white Pekin that he "rescued". It has a total bum leg. Keeps it stretched out behind itself all the time. :( But we'd rather give a good home as long as we can, then leave it to just die in the store without love or TLC.

Another is a Rouen that was so very tiny it couldn't get out of the "pond" they have in the duckling area. It was soaking wet and so cold it could hardly move. We weren't sure it was going to live very long, but it has recovered just fine, and is lightening fast!!

Also got two others, one of which I THINK is a Blue Swedish (haven't had time to research to be sure), and the other is an Ancona that has the cutest black markings! :)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Alas, we have no pond. Lol I TRIED to talk them out of ducklings! It just didn't work! Lol They are cute, tho now every time I see the red light coming from my bathroom I think the house is on fire! And I had a dream that the bathroom was actually an oven and the ducklings were being cooked... which is why I'm now awake at 0142!! Lol

We paid $5 each for them, and had to get pine shavings, a light, bulb, feeder, waterer, extention cord..... lol

Now I just have to figure out how we're going to get an enclosure together in the next 4 weeks for them! I think we will just do an 8x12 run like we are going to do with the chickens and put a dog house in there as well as an inexpensive kiddie pool. Thank God Sam just scored a new job! I will probably have to figure out how to give them more shade tho because the spot we're going to put them doesn't get the best shade in the afternoon.

The kids are happy with them, which is one of the goals. I hope that they are either both hens, or a drake and a hen. If not I may have to see if our neighbor will trade us one. They got ducklings too. :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ducks are supposed to be good garden critters .... but mine never are. They always go for the GREENS!!
I use one of the smallest kiddie swimming pools for their "pond". They love love it. I only fill it halfway tho, so I can dump it daily and give them fresh water. Filled too full, and I have a hard time dumping it.

Enjoy your babies! I LOVE having ducks!!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm SO glad that you said they can have a kiddie pool! I was reading a book and it said that some breeds need deeper water! I was starting to freak out a little... LOL

Do you think a 8x12 enclosure will be enough for them? If I decide to make the enclosure 8x24 for both the ducks and chickens (we're thinking 6-8 chickens) would they all be okay together or should I not put the ducks and chickens together?

There are some things that the books just don't tell you!!