Expensive trip to Tractor Supply

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Mallard or Rouen

When the game wardens and the swat teams arrive to arrest a person for having Mallards, alls a person would have to say is but officer, I thought they were rouens. They are so identical I wonder if DNA analysis could tell them apart. My guess is that DNA would sort it out. There probably is some difference in a gene or two.

Come the day when folks have DNA machines as easy as mr coffee makers, (lol!), I'd bet that most Rouens would turn out to have at least some recent Mallard ancestors.

Is there a domesticated version of the Wood Duck?
Most if not all Domesticated ducks carry Mallard DNA.
In pure well bred/ pure stock there is a huge difference between Mallards and Rouens.

Just like Malards, Wood Ducks can be bought from a breeder or hatchery (breeder being far better quality) so they could be called "domesticated".

Chris

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm still not quite sure what they are... I'm just going to stick with Rouen.

Right now... they peep, they poop, and they swim... and they are ADORABLE! :love

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nacho cutie pie, you'll need to add the ducks to your list on that signature thing at the bottom of your posts :caf

:thumbsup

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL!That's very true! If they were a little more tame I would take them outside with me for a while today, but, I don't want them running off.

I did discover something last night tho. Phineas has white speckles on his feet, while Ferb has all black feet. I only know this because we were watching them play in the bath tub last night and Ferb kept picking at Phineas' feet! You can't help but laugh at these ducks. They are just too adorable.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hopefully that will grow by about 6-8 chickens here in a couple of months! I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit all the crazy names Bug will come up with for them! :lol:

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never heard of TSC but notice they've got lots of stores here in California -- unfortunately the closest is several hours away in Bakersfield.. Luckily we're visiting my mother in Oregon this weekend and could stop by the following week on the way down in one of their many stores off I5 and see what baby chicks they've got since we're looking for a few as our current hens are almost 2 years old and not producing nearly as well as they used to.. Thanks for the tip!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're very welcome. I LOVE TSC. When I was younger I would shop there and at Quality Farm & Fleet. I don't even know if "The Q" is still in business any more.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... apparently I have a soft spot for ducks...

We got 2 Pekin ducklings at TSC today. Bug named them Stacy and Candace. Anybody with cable TV and kids around my kids age know that now we have 4 ducks anmed after characters on a cartoon show. :lol:

Ferb is getting really big! He's almost doubled his size since we got him (or her... lol) I hope we have at least 1 male in the bunch. I think Rouen Pekin cross ducks would be cute! :p

Latest posts