Expensive trip to Tractor Supply

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well........ I was sitting with the ducks this morning and all of a sudden I was thinking "Phineas and Ferb look so lonely!" I told Sam and he said "yeah.... they sure do look lonely. Go get some more." :lol:

I guess that's one thing I can always count on I my husband being a giant softy!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that it's completely illogical that ducks would be lonely... especially since there are 2 of them. So, even if they DID get lonely... how could they be?! :lol:

I did have a small freak out after when we were standing there. My daughter was with me and she was excited about getting 2 new ducks, and I knew if I walked away at that point I would have a giant crying child on my hands. I was standing there watching them and one of them had gotten caught between the feeder and the side wall of the water tank they were holding them in, when it finally got free it spewed a snot like substance everywhere. I thought "OH no! What if they have a bunch of sick ducks! I could be bringing home a sickness!" I told her to pick a couple as far away from that duck as possible... not like it REALLY mattered if it were sick... they more than likely all would be. We bring Stacy and Candace home and they are happy lil buggers. Really accepting of being picked up, don't try to wiggle free so much, etc. Then I started to have a freak out again. Bug was holding one of the new ducks and it slobbered all over her! :ep So... I (not-so) calmly looked for a reason why it would be doing this... and found that their necks aren't that well developed. HA! In the 20 seconds it took me to get from the ducks to the computer I imagined the entire flock of 4 would now have avian flu, or some other crazy disease, and they were done for.

I never said that my mind was not a crazy mixed up place to be... :hu

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quackers!

Wellp, I gotta go get some more nails. I could use a whole barrel of 3 and a quarter or 3 and a half inch 16 penny galvanized nails, but I guess a big box'll do. Garden's getting to looking like the foundations of a log cabin! Picking up another 100 foot roll of netting too...

Oh yea!

Maybe this'll be its own topic, but, one of my rolls of chicken wire won't finish unrolling! Doggoned roll got weird 3 quarters the way in.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I went to our feed store yesterday to get chicken feed and they have bunnies, chicks and ducklings! :love Oh the temptation!!! I stayed forever talking myself out of gettting any - good sense prevailed and I came away with feed and a feeder. If only I had a bigger place! :hit

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Id look at getting a pond pump to circulate water and a length of hose. Duck water is a GREAT source of fertilizer and nutrients for your garden. Pump that water out into the garden Id just let it run over the soil and let it soak in, rinse down the pool and refill. No point in having really nice green grass all around the duck pen from lifting and dumping the pool when you could pump it out to the garden.

I think TSC might carry the pump you need :p

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was dreaming up a scheme last night with this.

I seen a blog post about a guy that kept his ducks, chickens, and rabbits all in a fairly large enclosure. He put his rabbits over the compost barrels, built a rather nice coop for the chickens, had some trees in his enclosure, etc. Anyways.... he had a stock tank in there for his ducks. I was thinking about that being an option and just putting the tank close to the garden, keeping a hose attached to it and using it to water the garden instead. Only thing is... how would the ducks get in and out of the tank? He never said how he set it up for them to get in and out. Ideas?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Only thing is... how would the ducks get in and out of the tank? He never said how he set it up for them to get in and out. Ideas?
For my ducks last year we had a small kiddy pool and they had a hard time getting in at first so I put a paver for them to use as a step. For something as tall as a stock tank you'll probably want a ramp of some sort.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is the article.

I really like the way the guy has it set up. I just don't know how I would make sure that the ducks could get in and out of that stock tank. I would be scared to death that they would drown!!

Any ideas on how I would even go about building a ramp? It would need to be on both sides, no? If I could figure out a way to get a ramp up to the edge of the tank, do you think some pavers stacked up under the water would be enough? Are my chickens going to drown in the stock tank?? :lol: