Experimental quinoa planting.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Hoodat, that's the same variety I grew last season. It is a very forgiving variety. If you have the same selection, you'll get puffy flower heads in something like 3 colors with some mingle colored. Yellow, orange, and red. Some yellows will shade to greenish some.

Only real pest is the vole mice got some when they were little before I trapped them.

I actually don't know if the saponin needs to be washed off for the chickens and rabbits. Probably a good idea.
I know that the red quinoa grain is pricier than the white. I don't know if there's a difference in taste. The cheapest white quinoa I've found runs over $3 per pound with the red costing even more. The price may come down now that more people are using it.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WOW! Thanks Hoodat! I will not being putting the quinoa out as I know I will never wash and re-dry it. So glad you knew this!!!!!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked up some INCA RED Quinoa today. Box came with a bazillion beautiful but prewashed seeds.

When I get the garden going I'll do a seriously heavily overseeded small spot of these. If I get a few plants, cool. If not, oh well.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
good grief - there was so much info in this thread, i filled pages. i need to get a 3 ring binder & put this stuff in it by categories

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
What do you do with quinoa?
Quinoa is still gaining acceptance outside of South America and Mexico so there aren't a lot of recipes yet but in general you can use it as a hot cereal or mix it with rice. It can also be added to stews or soups. The flavor is rather bland but it has all of the amino acids and other ingredients to make the protein in legumes completely digestible. It is also used as a salad ingredient (cooked) by many people. It's value is more nutrient than taste. Its' role in boosting the bodys' use of vegetable proteins is a real boon to vegans. Protein can be a real problem to pure vegans.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Hoodat!!! :frow

I hope the Quinoa works out for you. If so I might have to give it a try up here in North County. Another thing that is giving the quinoa a boost in popularity is that it's Gluten Free.

A nice alternative grain.

gina

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Quinoa is a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the true grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach and tumbleweeds.

Its not in the same family as the more traditional grasses we grow for grains (like wheat, oats or barley), but it is considered a grain nonetheless.

And unlike the grassy grains, quinoa will bloom with gorgeous flowers before going to seed. The flowers are usually deep red or purple, and look like a large spike of tiny clusters flowers at the top of the stalk.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Quinoa is very closely related to lambs quarter. The seeds of lambs quarter were gathered and used as food by many Indian tribes but they are tiny in comparison.

Latest posts