Explosion...DD's friend dead

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This morning a very horrible event happened. I was getting ready to leave the house for work when the power blinked out, followed by a huge explosion. The house actually shook and I felt the shockwave hit my body...inside the house! Dew and the girls came running about asking what happened. We soon discovered that a nearby house had exploded from a gas leak. Unfortunately, their 13 year old girl was in the house when it happened, and is confirmed dead. She and my daughter came up through school together. JB is struggling to come to grips with it, as we all are. I saw what was left of the house this afternoon...there is nothing left...it's gone. The sound of the explosion was heard five miles away.

I have not heard an explosion that loud since I left the military. I cannot even begin to describe it.

Please pray for Hannah and her grieving family (who are all in the hospital).

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's awful, so sorry to hear about that. We had a similar event in the town where i live about 3-4 years ago, it happened about 6 blocks from our house and the sound was like NOTHING i had ever heard. One person, a utility worker, was killed and others injured. The homeowners had just left the house due to the construction and noise to go for a drive. The house was obliterated, and others nearby were condemned. :(

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been a very trying day for our little community. I did not know the family, my heart still breaks for them. I can not imagine what they must be going threw. The just bought the house maybe a month or two ago.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry your daughter lost her friend. It's a tough thing to deal with at any age but I think especially so when you are so young.
Death isn't something you consider happening to anybody you know.
Will keep Hannahs family in prayer.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My daughter is doing the best she can. She is very sensitive and is coping the best way she knows how. The school had counselors available to the kids if they needed to talk. Such a shame to loose a child that way.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It makes me think of a friend of my brother's who was killed after spending the summer with us. Well, he spent the summer but I was kind of out of it - that was the summer I had both the chicken pox and measles.

I believe his mother was going through a divorce. There was only 1 parent, I remember. She had begun working which wasn't real common for women during that time.

The friend had just returned home when he was killed in a hunting accident. He and my brother were only 14. DB was hit pretty hard and was almost out of control for the next couple of years. I think it really took him awhile to realize that he wasn't going to die as a teenager. DB needed to make plans for life.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow. What a terrible thing to happen. This is when a town comes together to support the family. I am so sorry for this family and I hope your daughter can deal with the loss of her friend.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a tragedy; I am so sorry your DD has to go through this. She and her friend and family will be in my prayers.

Latest posts