Farmers Markets?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd check around about selling eggs & such. I have heard (although I don't know firsthand), that there are regulations on selling animal products in certain areas. I wonder if the organization that runs/coordinates the market would be able to tell you.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
eggs, livestock, meat? You are leaving garden produce behind . . .

What happened to 1 guy who insisted that he could sell directly to the public was that it didn't work out so well. He said that his fresh chicken was processed to USDA standards. The volunteer market management didn't know one way or the other. The local health department showed up and shut him down much to the embarrassment of everyone at the market.

There were federal, state, and local health standards that had to be met.

Another fellow brought fresh eggs. He was bounced out by the health department but complied with the licensing requirements and returned and kept coming back. It must have worked fairly well for him - he drove over 150 miles one-way to attend.

I think you should start with your state's department of agriculture. They may send you to the local land-grant university for help in compliance. It may not be easy but there are up to 3 vendors who sell frozen meat at that market and have been doing so for years now. The rules certainly weed out those who only have a casual interest.

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd check around about selling eggs & such. I have heard (although I don't know firsthand), that there are regulations on selling animal products in certain areas. I wonder if the organization that runs/coordinates the market would be able to tell you.
It totally depends on your local laws. I have a couple of advantages....
1. I am in Colorado. There are exemptions from grading and licensing if you sell below a certain number of eggs per year.
2. I am in the county...I am not covered by regulations in the 2 cities I am in between.
3. My area is still in touch with its agricultural roots.
4. I am a rebel :D

Even in the nearby "big city" we have people selling meat. Mainly goats and sheep, but there is also a guy who sells sausage and sometimes a steak guy. Now that I think of it, there was a guy selling herbs, veggies and he had a few containers of eggs from his chickens.

There is one place I know I can't sell eating eggs and that is the Fountain farmer's market. Not because of city laws but because the farmer's market is a part of some association and their rules are that the eggs have to be graded.

I CAN, however, sell hatching eggs and eggs for raw pet food feeders. Of course, if Fido wants to share his eggs with his human's, that is totally up to him :D

It also seemed like everyone was selling the same things. The same varieties of onions, tomatoes, peppers, everything. They also mostly had the same prices. Some sold by weight and some per item, but the price was still about the same.
I do notice this a lot. My favorite vendor at the Springs market is the exception. He has a great variety of weird squash. I love shopping at his booth :D

How you doing decided to jump over here from backyard chickens hehe
Life can't ALL be about birds...no matter what my bratty ducks told you :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your city/township will have regulations, so be sure to check first. Here where I live, you go by the mayor's office for the regs. Here you are also required to purchase a $12 business license. Our farmer's market also has rules as to how many vendors can be selling the same type of item, I guess that is supposed to help make sure they get a fair price for their crop (as opposed to someone going over to Ohio and buying bushels of veggies really cheap and reselling them).

Our farmers market sells ALL kinds of things. One very popular booth sells homebaked goods (rolls, muffins, banana bread, etc). Some people sell honey and other bee products (candles, lotions, etc). There are people who sell seasonal decorations, homemade candles, hand crafted jewelry.... You get the idea. The possibilities are endless, as long as the rules allow it. One lady from my church has been able to establish a very successful small farm business after starting out at the farmer's market selling eggs and freshly butchered turkeys and chickens. You should do a little research into what sells well in your area (ie, any ethnic markets you can cater to for example). Some things are year-round, some things are very seasonal (fruits and veggies). Good luck! It can be very profitable as well as fun to spend a few hours selling at the farmers market every Saturday and you can also "network" a lot and establish a faithful customer base.

MTNCKN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What are some common prices that stuff is sold at?
digitS' said:
eggs, livestock, meat? You are leaving garden produce behind . . .
Wasn't really leaving them behind just looking at other stuff I could get out of selling at a farmers market. Sorry if it seemed like I was drifting away didn't mean to.:hit
P.S Gonna list some stuff i might wanna tr give me thought when I do thanks again!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I forgot to list rhubarb. We grow a LOT of it. Hubby eats a lot of it, but there is even more than he can polish off growing out in the yard. I don't like the flavor but it makes a great landscaping plant for problem areas. Those huge leaves are so pretty.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I forgot to list rhubarb. We grow a LOT of it. Hubby eats a lot of it, but there is even more than he can polish off growing out in the yard. I don't like the flavor but it makes a great landscaping plant for problem areas. Those huge leaves are so pretty.
I wish someone would bring rhubarb (from someplace where it grows) to some farmers markets here. I love love love rhubarb. But it's not even worth trying to grow here.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bet. Too hot. Mine are under a japanese crab apple tree. They do great. I got the plants from a wacky friend who thought they were ugly. Can you believe that? (Crazy people I tell ya!!)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I bet. Too hot. Mine are under a japanese crab apple tree. They do great. I got the plants from a wacky friend who thought they were ugly. Can you believe that? (Crazy people I tell ya!!)
hahaha! that is wacky!