Fashion in the garden

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeesh!!!! Glad I live in the desert where all our weird and dangerous things wear camo!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My only run-in with those sob's was late in the season, after the corn was harvested. I had never seen one before. I was going through the corn pulling the stalks for the shredder. I got stung in three places on the left arm and hand at the same time. I found dozens of those things on the undersides of the corn leaves. I thought I was bound for the hospital. I am now very careful about pulling the corn stalks.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
No snakes. I own 5 cats, so no mice, so...no snakes.
I have 6 degrees of clothing, and I wear the same stuff for gardening as I do for horse/chicken chores, except I always wear a big brimmed hat when I'm gardening.
I am pretty much completely covered, too. Don't think my legs have gotten a tan in the last 30 years.

Ethan

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your opinion buddies, but according to me, beautiful fences makes your garden more attractive and delightful.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Range Massachusetts south to Florida and west to eastern Missouri and Texas" Bugguide (click)

On Nitty's topic of the little "Dogpatch" house -- BobM responds to the idea of planter boxes that they are "an open invitation to termites." I was tempted to say: "what's a termite?"

I don't want to tempt fate but I am out of the range of termites. Oh, maybe they are here somewhere but I've never seen them around. Ohio State has a range map for the US and this is in the "none to slight" risk area. However, both Bob & Nitty are not very far away and that map shows termites across southern Washington state!

Steve
moose crossing

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve, your click helped me ID another one that got me in the blackberries...Io moth caterpillar. That one didn't hurt as bad as the saddleback, but then, it only got me once.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
"Range Massachusetts south to Florida and west to eastern Missouri and Texas" Bugguide (click)

On Nitty's topic of the little "Dogpatch" house -- BobM responds to the idea of planter boxes that they are "an open invitation to termites." I was tempted to say: "what's a termite?"

I don't want to tempt fate but I am out of the range of termites. Oh, maybe they are here somewhere but I've never seen them around. Ohio State has a range map for the US and this is in the "none to slight" risk area. However, both Bob & Nitty are not very far away and that map shows termites across southern Washington state!

Steve
moose crossing
Steve ... I used to live in the Democratic People's Republic of Davis, Cal. ... there are entire people neighborhoods where houses ( from migrant labor shack, to tract homes, to mansion, to apartment buildings )are being held up by termites holding hands. If one happens to drop a piece of 2 x 4 on the ground and one doesn't pick it up, termites will make it their party house within weeks. :ep The termite moto: Come join the party, comrads ! :rant

Latest posts