Favorite FLOWER to grow in your garden?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what's your favorite flower to grow in your garden?

For me, it's a toss-up between sunflowers and zinnias.

This year, in addition to zinnias and sunflowers, I'm going to grow some strawflowers, too ... anyone else grow these? I'm excited about them ... I've never grown them before, and am looking forward to their long summer/fall blooms.

I love the color variety to zinnias, but the big sunny faces of a sunflower can't be beat!

I love it when we happen across the sunflower fields in the area just before harvest. Ooooh, it's a heavenly thing to see!

Like THIS in 2010: http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/2010/06/alan-knows-i-love-sunflowers.html

And THIS in 2009: http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/2009/05/sunflowers.html

6a00d8341c2d2753ef013484113b56970c-800wi

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Many years ago I grew some Straw Flowers. They were easy to grow and the dried flower heads lasted for years and years! I ought to grow more of those!

It is hard for me to pick a favorite flower.. I LOVE FLOWERS!!

some of my most favorites are...

Johnny Jump Ups
Morning Glories
Four O'Clocks
Hollyhocks
Pansies

falling.gif
throw.gif
falling.gif

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dahlias.....always has been....always will be....I do raise lots of other flowers as well....nothing compares to the Dahlia.
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_030.jpg

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like edible flowers so nasturtium and violas are high on the list. I also have day lilies...love how hardy they are. And I have hollyhocks everywhere. I bough 1 PLANT 10 years ago and it spread seeds EVERYWHERE! LOL I like the variety of colors and the FREE part :D

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My favorite flowers to grow are Marigolds and the miniature daffodils.

I also love roses, lilacs, and the old-fashioned orange tiger lilies that grow in ditches, etc. Well, okay, I like a lot of other flowers, but usually I focus on veggies....

I'm getting my fruit gardens in here this year. Next year it's time to expand the veggie gardens. Then, the next year, I can tuck small flower beds in wherever there is space leftover. Cannot let myself go crazy with flowers here yet...

(I do have some marigold seeds on hand...)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
WOW, look at those Dahlias!! Beautiful!
I think Steve's a Dahlia grower, too (digitS')
I DO grow dahlias, Daisy! (And, what do you think about growing Painted Daisies or Shasta Daisies in your garden? You know, Shasta Daisies grow wild in our woods around here! ;))

I have no hesitation about growing Dahlias and digging their roots every fall. After all, we cultivate our beds for annuals each year, don't we? May as well do the digging in the fall. Storage isn't a problem with a cool room in the basement.

. . . I'm going to grow some strawflowers, too ... anyone else grow these? I'm excited about them ... I've never grown them before, and am looking forward to their long summer/fall blooms. . .
I have strawflowers every few years, also! They aren't the most beautiful plants, however . . . a little gray and scraggly. The strawflowers themselves can look kind of ratty if allowed to go too long. Think about cutting them just after they open! The plant does real well at growing more and looking no worse for your harvesting.

The stems dry to be quite fragile. That's why florists' wire is often used instead of stems for dry arrangements. It is real easy to bend the wire in a loop, pull it down into the petals (sepals) so as to be hidden and then the wire can just be twisted and act as a stem.

Have fun with those!

Steve
Oh, favorite flower? Well . . . many, many have their place and special beauty . . . Gosh :/ I was afraid you were asking this question and why you titled the thread "Favorite FLOWER to grow in your garden?" :/

Latest posts