Favorite FLOWER to grow in your garden?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My most favorite flower is... huh :/... I dont have a most favorite...I have bunch of favorites...for many different reasons...Zinnia, iris, daylily, lavender, lilac, crocus,black eyed susan, violets, sunflowers, hollyhock[which refuses to reseed in my yard.] shasta daisy, forgetmenots, cosmos, mock orange, really a flowering shrub but they smell so good when in bloom...mostly the flowers that my grammy had growing in her yard when I was a child...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That really is a hard question! One of them, is alyssum- so easy to grow and it has a lovely fragrance. I also admire its staying power. They will flower right up to snow...
Love my passion flower. Also, the incredible lily flowers. Stargazer is amazing and makes the entire garden smell like heaven.... In truth, I never met a flower I didn't like!!
I agree about the fields of sunflowers- hard to find a more beautiful, cheerful, sight!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I have strawflowers every few years, also! They aren't the most beautiful plants, however . . . a little gray and scraggly. The strawflowers themselves can look kind of ratty if allowed to go too long. Think about cutting them just after they open! The plant does real well at growing more and looking no worse for your harvesting.
Yes, I've read that they can look rather "scraggly" as they mature. I was thinking of intermixing them in a long, narrow bed w/ zinnias and sunflowers. Zinnias and sunflowers don't have the best looking "mature" plants either, but I'm OK with it as long as I get lots of blooms! :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One that hasn't been mentioned is the gladiola!

I don't know how you could ask for much more from a flower! Wide, wide range of colors. Tall. Very dramatic! It is almost as tho' some gladiolas are shouting, "Here I am!!"

There are also others with very soft colors and with the ruffled petal varieties maybe it is more like they are murmuring, "Hold me, I'm beautiful."

There always seems room to fit gladiolas in. I have quite a few . . . and really, it would be fine if I had more ;).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like all the flowers everybody else has mentioned and like Jojo,I
love the fragrance of stocks.
Steve mentioned Painted Daisy, and they are one of my earliest bloomers.
Nobody has listed Clematis yet (where are you Hattie? ) and they are somewhere very near the top of my list. ... OK, they top my list.

And who doesn't like sunflowers? Even tho this year they are kinda in the dog house with me! :rant

Whats not to love???

7504_august_garden041.jpg

Hanging out with the feverfew...

7504_picket_garden_72909011.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Goodness, it's hard to pick just one (or even a couple!) :lol:

IN the garden, like in with the veggies? I have two favorites there...cosmos (I like the pinks/white better than the orange) and sunflowers for sure. I like to grow a wide variety of sunflowers and cut them for bouquets.

Just flowers in general, I really enjoyed the dahlias I had last year. They are nice to cut and bring inside. I am also partial to roses, the less fussier they are, the better. And I'll take one with a good scent over one with nice color or form anyday. And wave petunias. I like that they bloom for such a long period of time and I like how they casually blend and tuck themselves in with everything else in my flower bed.

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My favorite flower would be the coneflowers. Oh and then there's the daisies. Wait then there's wisteria that grows on my arbor that always looks gorgeous. There are too many to choose from. I would say these are my top 3.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! oops! I forgot to add another favorite that I can't do without and that would be bee balm (monarda didyma ). The hummers agree, it's one of their favorites too! :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Zinnias... grown mostly for their ease.... I love me so easy flowers and their blooms just last for ever both on the plant and a cut flower.