Favorite Sounds

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The mating call of Red-Winged Blackbirds. I'd have to agree on cawing crows, if you use your imagination a little bit they kind of sound like monkeys. Crowing roosters is great. Heavy machinery and vehicles usually drive me crazy (very sensitive sense of hearing, actually had to have it lowered via medication) but I do like the sound of far-off trains.

My ideal combo would be roosters crowing (not standing right behind me), a nice rain, and the wind gently blowing the the leaves.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reason I have chickens is for the sound of crowing. Amish chickens start it (mile away), mine join in. FIL use to complain about the noise of them and birds outside his window. I'd just smile.....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the sound of silence in the country where traffic noises disappear and I can hear the peepers in the spring, bees buzzing overhead, the owls in the summer, the crickets in early fall and my singing trees on winter evenings.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can somebody find a whippoorwill calling on YouTube so @murphysranch can hear it? I can't on this phone .....

My grandfather used to stand outside in the dark with me, wrapped in velvet blackness, and we would listen to the whippoorwill. Hearing one here on our place is a treasure unto itself and had the added bonus of bringing back distant childhood memories.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The eastern whippoorwill is a bird we didn't see the first 25 years or so out here. Now they have returned to the area as so many once scarce birds have done. Love listening to them in the evening.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
so many favorite sounds, a doe talking quietly to her new born kid, wind in the trees, bull frogs on the pond, owls calling from the pines, hummingbirds buzzing past you to get to the feeder. the whippoorwills call from the deep woods, all tho they aren't as pleasant if they are right close to your bedroom window. had to ask them politely to move over a bit. love the sounds of silence in the country. and i love to hear my emma eat a potato chip. its the sweetest little crunch, crunch, crunch. doesn't take much to make me happy.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys have all mentioned most of my favorite sounds. LOVE this thread as this is one of the things I am enjoying like never before....silence and the sounds that drop into it. I've always lived where it's pretty quiet and all these sounds are just part of my life and the joy of it, but these last few years it seems I notice them even more and my heart swells with the joy and peace of it all.

Among my favorite sounds: Whippoorwill, Great Horned Owl, a cowbird's call, rain on a tin roof, a faint tinkle of wind chimes, thunder rolling in the distance, spring peepers, the faint buzzing of a honeybee on a mission from flower to flower, the whuffle of a horse after it sniffs your hair, the purr of a contented hen and the chuckling they do to call the chicks to food, the same kind of gentle chuckling noise a ewe makes to her newborn lamb, the purr of a cat, the belly laugh of a child, kids joyfully playing, and the quiet "I love you, Mommy" that comes along with little arms around my neck.

A mountain stream in the sunlight, a million diamonds twinkling off that bright water, with the singing of the water over the rocks to accompany the dancing of the diamonds.

The sound of a baby talking to her fingers in the wee hours of the morning, having awakened to a quiet house.

The sound of a car starting on a cold morning, after you've been cranking on it awhile and you dearly need to get to work.

The sound of a screen door banging shut on a summer day...that "sproinnnnnnnggggg" of the spring and then the stuttering slam always brings Grandma's house to my mind.

The sound of rabbits chewing on hay in the still of the night.

Wind in the pines and even more so in the aspens.

Chicks peeping slower and slower as they fall to sleep...and then that last "peep!" after they've all sunk into slumber and they are talking in their sleep.

The sound of fall night bugs...those ones you don't hear all summer until fall is around the corner. They have a whole different singing than spring and summer time night bugs and it is a comforting sound to me...reminds me of county fairs, the first day of school and the first fire of the morning to "take the chill off the house".

The sound of Mama making breakfast while it's still dark out, getting Daddy off to work, and knowing we still have a little time yet to have to get up for school. The sound of that school bus's brakes the first day of school and it pulls up to your stop...such excitement!

So many favorite sounds it would be hard to name them all!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The snap and pop of logs in the woodstove. The rustle of book pages.
The rhythmic clop of horse hooves on dirt road, or the subdued thump on a wooded trail.
The mower on the first mowing of spring (today!).
The cockeyed squirrel barking out his territory by the bird feeders.
Hummer sounds, already mentioned but a real favorite.
My little mule sounding his chuckling bray when I get home in the afternoon, ears forward. eyes bright, expecting a good scratching before I disappear into the house.