Feeding: Broccoli pumpkin, blueberrries and herbs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I. want to see a picture of the entire bed from a distance. Otherwise I don't believe it, haha.

Mary
I keep looking because I can't believe it after so long waiting

Broccoli taking it's time

20210714_173358.jpg

Pumpkin just starting to grow

20210714_173350.jpg

Raised bed closed

20210714_173327.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Coconut coir.

Will a little of this be ok in my raised bed as an extra nutrient or will it mess up the bugs that's needed?

I've read that a little is good for the blue berries. I would like too add some to my baby lavender that has been planted in my garden

20210714_174323.jpg

Then of course i have cucumbers that are still potted.

20210714_174342.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that it was peat moss with its low pH that was advisable for blueberries ...

This is really "off the top of my head," or to put it more clearly, guessing. I have neither grown blueberries nor used coconut coir but, here goes ;).

I have read others' opinions on coir that it carries salts. There are salt-tolerant plants that may do better in it. Additionally, that coir has a pH close to neutral which makes it less desirable for acid-loving plants.

The important idea behind both coir and peat moss is that they do not decompose easily. So, we shouldn't really look to them for the purpose of feeding the microorganisms or the plants.

Steve
who is just a longtime gardener and ain't no horticulturalist or biologist.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought that it was peat moss with its low pH that was advisable for blueberries ...

This is really "off the top of my head," or to put it more clearly, guessing. I have neither grown blueberries nor used coconut coir but, here goes ;).

I have read others' opinions on coir that it carries salts. There are salt-tolerant plants that may do better in it. Additionally, that coir has a pH close to neutral which makes it less desirable for acid-loving plants.

The important idea behind both coir and peat moss is that they do not decompose easily. So, we shouldn't really look to them for the purpose of feeding the microorganisms or the plants.

Steve
who is just a longtime gardener and ain't no horticulturalist or biologist.
I just ordered Limonium plants they are usually growing near the sea. Maybe I can use this coir on these. As they have a salt tolerance. 🤞.

I have 10 kilos of this I must find a use for it somehow

Thanks a lot Steve. I could have completely destroyed all I've worked for here. Google has not been too clever on this information.

You know a heck of a lot more than me. :thumbsup

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
lavender will be fine in more rocky and harder soils as long as it is perched a bit so it doesn't get waterlogged. remember it is a mediteranean plant which can handle dryer weather (once it is established).

we have gobs of lavender planted here and even in areas that flood once in a while but the plants themselves are put up a bit so they are not primarily down where it floods. the soil underneath is topsoil and sand so they are actually drained well once the flash flood moment is over. in other spots they are a foot or two above grade and we never water them (not even during the droughts we've had) and they usually bloom up a storm every year. i can't ever recall a year where they've not bloomed.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lavender will be fine in more rocky and harder soils as long as it is perched a bit so it doesn't get waterlogged. remember it is a mediteranean plant which can handle dryer weather (once it is established).

we have gobs of lavender planted here and even in areas that flood once in a while but the plants themselves are put up a bit so they are not primarily down where it floods. the soil underneath is topsoil and sand so they are actually drained well once the flash flood moment is over. in other spots they are a foot or two above grade and we never water them (not even during the droughts we've had) and they usually bloom up a storm every year. i can't ever recall a year where they've not bloomed.
Thanks mr flowerbug. ;) .

Now I have one plant that I can use this coir on at least :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All of my broccoli has been destroyed. I have a feeling it is earwigs .

I will have too find a way to keep them away. First slugs now these things. I keep the lid down during the night and heavy rain.

What a waste of money. Hundreds of pounds and hours of work for the raised bed and all that's survived is my pumpkin and coriander :(

20210807_085240.jpg

20210807_085251.jpg

20210807_085228.jpg

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All of my broccoli has been destroyed. I have a feeling it is earwigs .

I will have too find a way to keep them away. First slugs now these things. I keep the lid down during the night and heavy rain.

What a waste of money. Hundreds of pounds and hours of work for the raised bed and all that's survived is my pumpkin and coriander :(

View attachment 42894

View attachment 42895

View attachment 42892
I found a lot of caterpillars today they completely eaten all of my broccoli.

I read up on this organic powered or liquid Bt, it claims too prevent this from happening as well as keeping slugs and worms at bay. Any ideas please ?

Latest posts