Finished my Bug Motel

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What cool pictures! What about a close up of the bug motel in sections? The overall pic is good, would like to see it in more detail. PLEEEEZE???

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last summer I tried to get my (then) 5 and 6 year old grand daughters to help me make a fairy house outside, thinking it would be a fun project. "Fairies are EVIL!" they both yelled. (Their mother has put some odd ideas in their little heads)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No
Last summer I tried to get my (then) 5 and 6 year old grand daughters to help me make a fairy house outside, thinking it would be a fun project. "Fairies are EVIL!" they both yelled. (Their mother has put some odd ideas in their little heads)

Trolls are evil... Some people (hyper-spiritual types) give me a sidewards look at times if I mention I make Fairy houses... There is some "myth" that such things are "fallen angels" etc. Those of us with good imaginations from the time we were small, try not to be offended by those that are not "kindred spirits" on such topics.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What cool pictures! What about a close up of the bug motel in sections? The overall pic is good, would like to see it in more detail. PLEEEEZE???

Here are some close up photos. There are Pine Cones from my own yard, (the darker grey ones) and the lighter brown Pine Cones are from Washington State the a friend picked up for me on a trip up there. There are pine needles, dried Sunflower stalks, wooden dowels sliced to fit by a friend of mine with a very nice table saw.
Top right side
Top right side email.jpg

Bottom right side
Bottom Right side email.jpg

Top Left side
Top Left side email.jpg

Bottom Left side
Bottom left side email.jpg

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wanted to ask earlier...why for? huh? eh? I need more information.
My ignorance is showing, sorry.
Down here, a shortage of insects has never been an issue.
Wait, I take that back. We seem to be waning on the pollinator front. I have plenty of squash bugs though.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wanted to ask earlier...why for? huh? eh? I need more information.
My ignorance is showing, sorry.
Down here, a shortage of insects has never been an issue.
Wait, I take that back. We seem to be waning on the pollinator front. I have plenty of squash bugs though.

And that is the hope here, by building the "Bug Motels" we will be able to build a "habitat" for beneficial bugs in urban areas where it might be hard for them to find a good place to live and raise their families.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Friend of mine brought me some pine cones from Wash. State. And they were just enough to get this project finished!
View attachment 1499
I love when old photos pop up. Here is a beauty that I missed. I build a 9 foot wreath every Christmas. I have always wanted to totally cover it with pinecones. It would take me years to save that many. Beautiful!

Latest posts