Finished my Bug Motel

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
are they very large trees? our white pines have cones, but i wouldn't call them loaded. we have other types of pine trees that drop a much larger number in comparison.

it could also be affected by where they are planted and what the climate/soil is like it's really hard to pin down some things without seeing the whole situation aka "being there".

the trees have both sexes for making babies on the same tree so that can't be the issue but if you have a high wind location and not many upwind or downwind of each other that can be a factor.

i've not seen squirrels moving the pine cones from them around or eating them but i can't rule that out. the blue jays have been really on the come back here the past few years and i'm glad for it - i see them flying in and out of the white pines most days and i'm not sure if they eat the seeds or move them around or not (they certainly do cache corn all over the place).
Our cones I would call, medium. I have seen the huge ones sold in stores. They definitely don't grow around here. I would surmise it is variety that determines the cone size.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
are they very large trees? our white pines have cones, but i wouldn't call them loaded. we have other types of pine trees that drop a much larger number in comparison.

it could also be affected by where they are planted and what the climate/soil is like it's really hard to pin down some things without seeing the whole situation aka "being there".

the trees have both sexes for making babies on the same tree so that can't be the issue but if you have a high wind location and not many upwind or downwind of each other that can be a factor.

i've not seen squirrels moving the pine cones from them around or eating them but i can't rule that out. the blue jays have been really on the come back here the past few years and i'm glad for it - i see them flying in and out of the white pines most days and i'm not sure if they eat the seeds or move them around or not (they certainly do cache corn all over the place).
Yes very large.

Latest posts