Fires in the West

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry for all that going on Murphy. I hate fire. When we moved out of SoCal the largest fire ever came through our old town 10 months later and burnt the mountains we used to ride and hike in. Houses right across the street from our old place were gutted. It's scary and unpredictable. I hope you stay safe.
My brothers place outside of Grants Pass is within a couple miles of the fire. He fell and knocked himself out and had a seizure, so he evacuated himself to a hospital.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Scary to have fire so close. Praying for a Gentle drenching rain (No lighting) Stay safe.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
he evacuated himself to a hospital.
Oh No! Clean rooms, air conditioning and oxygen - at least.

I have 2 cousins and their families in that neck of the woods.

There was a lot of thunderstorm activity yesterday in the Cascades, north of @bobm . I just bet that started some fires.

Pleased that today's wind direction must be just right. Haze is predicted and becoming common here. Hard on my eyes, etc.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right after we moved into our present home, someone driving on the State Highway threw a still lit cigarette onto the ditch bank behind our home . It started a grass fire, but was stopped by water in the drainage ditch. Then mopped up by the Fire Dept. This past spring , the State highway dept. removed dead and dying cottonwood trees, blackberry tangles and many types of weeds behind our homes. Today, I sprayed Roundup along that ditch bank ( behind our house and behind houses on eather side ) to kill many types of weeds that are exploding in regrowth in the now DRY ( NO rain here since spring)
ditch to prevent possible fires by some idiot throwing out a cigarette. :he

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember when the environmentalists were all gung ho to save the spotted owl because they needed old growth forests to save them from extinction ? Turns out that they also reproduce in other places too. The BLM was underfunded. Livestock numbers drastically cut back from grazing in National Parks. Prescribed fires drastically cut back. Herbicides vilified. Etc. Now we have tangles of unpenatrable and un-managed tree and underbrush growth with no roads or vehicles allowed or fire breaks for thousands of acres on end that is set up for huge fires.

when you don't let fires burn you're going to end up with worse eventually later.

wild life needs wild spaces. the National Parks shouldn't be used for grazing farm animals.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle...I'm in Merlin, just above GP. Poor brother! Is he OK? Does he need help?

He's not good about letting me and my big sis know what's going on. Sis called him several times over a few days and he never answered or called back. She was finally able to track him to the hospital and now he's in a nursing facility for a little while. He lives alone and in a sketchy neighborhood so we always worry about his welfare. I don't know when he'll be going back home. Hopefully not until the fires are burned out.
It was kind of you to ask about him.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh No! Clean rooms, air conditioning and oxygen - at least.

I have 2 cousins and their families in that neck of the woods.

There was a lot of thunderstorm activity yesterday in the Cascades, north of @bobm . I just bet that started some fires.

Pleased that today's wind direction must be just right. Haze is predicted and becoming common here. Hard on my eyes, etc.

Steve

Kid#1 has been on fires up above Priest Lake for a week. He said there were a couple dozen in the panhandle from lightening strikes.

Latest posts