First Autumn Frost on its way to White Plains!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just realized I haven't seen any hummingbirds all morning. Could they all be gone already? I'm bummed!:(

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
But, but, but. . . the wooly bears are, perhaps, a bit more light than dark. In any case, they are not more than half dark. That alone signifies winter will be better than normal.

And, and, and. . . the oak trees had a smaller than usual acorn fall this year -- a sign of a shorter, warmer winter.

And, and, and. . . let's not forget the El Nino. That should keep the temps in a more moderate range even if it is guaranteed to bury N.Y. under a mountain (Mt. Denali?) of snow.

If wishing could make it so, we would be having a winter closer to the one in 2011-2012, except that we can certainly skip February temperatures in the 80's (F).

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree @Smart Red I actually saw a wooly bear that was completely light! The pin oak in Dad's yard has less than 1/2 the acorns from last fall. So.... :fl A milder winter, PLEASE!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our huge oak in the back yard has very few acorns this year. It was loaded last year. I can't even remember what last winter was like....oh yeah, snow for a long time on the ground, but it wasn't terribly cold. and this summer has not been terribly hot. I hardly used the fan for the chicken house; certainly not more than 10 nights.
I wouldn't put much stock in those old farmers' indicators.

Latest posts