First Robins!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That last storm coming over the Siskiyou Mountains blew them north aaalll the way to the border, @murphysranch :).

@ninnymary !

View attachment 24962
hummingbirds? Well, you have Monarch Butterflies just like about an hour's drive south, right?

Steve :rolleyes:
Yes and that’s where I’m heading right now. The drive through Gilroy is so beautiful. The rolling hills are green and I love seeing the little ranches and fields are smoothly plowed. I keep looking for chicken coops but haven’t seen one yet.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not seen another robin, near my home or otherwise.

I will be returning to a location where I often see wintering robins and will be looking, yet again, for the elusive thrushes! It has been over 60°f the last two days - what do they want, the tropics?

Two starlings were in trees along my drive Monday morning. Honestly, I try not to pay much attention to them but don't seem to remember that they ever leave entirely during the winter.

I am sure that the last handful of snow in my yard will disappear in this morning's rain.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The starlings leave, I think because when they come back the whole neighborhood is full of them. I have a few sparrows, but not near as many as in the past. We never made it to 60. We made it to 55 and 58 and cloudy and rainy today in 40s.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not sighted a robin here yet , I think I will soon though after the weather today.

Not one robin yet here either. I turned the dirt in the box and a lot of worms, but this is a raised bed. I am not sure about the garden.

Not seen another robin, near my home or otherwise.

I guess they're all at my house. I cleaned out the birdbath yesterday (I keep it heated in the winter)
and a robin thanked me by jumping up and taking a bath.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The starlings are going somewhere ... at least, they aren't around like this by winter:

Maybe, they sneak back ... embarrassed by their previous behavior.

;)Steve

Can you believe that I remember the first Starlings that I saw, on the power line running to our farm?! I think there was an article in the local paper about them showing up from California.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/European_Starling/maps-range

I'll just edit another map in here:

Starlings.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts