First Robins!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The naturalists say that birds maintain activities and appearance until, they don't and they die. I guess that may be so. The contrast is with ancient reptiles and animal pets and humans.

DW likes to make comments about wishing she was some form of animal wildlife or another. She claims they have all the carefree fun. She is of an age where I no longer point out how we don't really know about how carefree and how fun but we have some ideas about how brief.

Robins must have a very dramatic change of diet through the year. I remember as a kid wondering how animals managed to cover the vitamin bases in their dietary choices ;). Not all that long ago, DW convinced me that my mother would "expect" me to take supplements ... yeah well ... if'n DW didn't scratch up so many desserts the argument wouldn't have been such a winner.

digitS' reaching across the table

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the large parrots you have to put in your will, they live 80 to 100. The small ones I have are 20 to 30 years. Wonder what a wild birds is

At a ranch in Idaho where they research hummingbirds, (trapping banding and releasing)
the oldest banded bird had returned for 12 years.
I think that is just amazing, that those tiny creatures travel such great distances, in adverse conditions, and survive to do it multiple times.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
At a ranch in Idaho where they research hummingbirds, (trapping banding and releasing)
the oldest banded bird had returned for 12 years.
I think that is just amazing, that those tiny creatures travel such great distances, in adverse conditions, and survive to do it multiple times.
I am surprised! I would have thought 5 or 6 years and less for hummingbirds because of their size. Thanks for sharing.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Daughter should me a picture of a Robin on a branch in the snow ``` I like them ~ the robins around here ~ have orange breasts ~ do some actually have Red breasts ```

There was a pie crust in the freezer ~ that made it's way to the counter next to the stove ~ it was broken in small pieces ~ I put it on the railing ~ and the Stellar Jays ~ took it quickly away ~ one jay showed up ~ he started yelling " all mine " then there were several more yelling " what all yours " ~ I told him he'd have done better ~ keeping his beak shut ```

We have some great looking humming birds ~ won't see them until it warmer ~ they must leave the mountain for winter ```

Last edited:

Latest posts