First signs of spring

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!

Best of Luck, PhilaGardener.

I would just be delighted to have a fig tree! Good fresh, canned and dried! And, a little different every way :)

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did someone say there were signs of spring?

Not here!

Winter has shaken my world again. It looks like a snow globe with big, fat flakes scurrying all about out side. Anything that started to show ground has been covered again. Pooh! I want spring!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are some Fig varieties that are reportedly very cold tolerant without protections. Hardy Chicago is one (it was found growing in Chicago with no protection). I haven't grown it yet, but have a cutting of that variety that I am trying to root right now. Wish me luck!

12+ more inches of snow on the way to Philly for this Monday. I am so ready to see daffodils, @vfem !
I have 2 chicago Hardys from the summer they are in pots which I moved in to a shed. I have another planted in ground that I covered with mulch. if they maked it though this winter, they can handle anything.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there we go!

I have always been discouraged by the idea of growing figs as container plants. Dad used to have his orange tree and his avocado tree. They'd sit right beside him in the sunlight from the sliding door out on his deck. In the summer, they'd go on the deck, back indoors for the winters. Nothing. Of course, no one really expected them to produce. They were just his "pets."

I know that figs are small trees. I know that they fruit early in the season and should have enough time for fruiting in a northern climate. We had a fig tree in southern Oregon where it grew and produced wonderfully! I know that there are techniques to get outdoor fig trees through winters but I don't see people saying, "Yes, I've done that for years and it works fine."

That tree at my childhood home was really appreciated but I'm not gonna cart around 50 gallons of soil and find winter protection for all that so that a fig can grow to a productive maturity. Covering a tree with mulch would be a reasonable thing to do.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has rained for most of last night and this morning. 1 block from our house,a neighbor's 10' tall bush ( no clue of what it is ) had no blooms at 8 am, then at noon it suddenly turned pink with new flowers that had just opened. Spring is here at last ! :celebrate

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had daffodils and narcissus blooming for weeks. Woke up to an ice storm yesterday and ice coated frozen flowers. :idunnoToday everything is back to normal. Flowers are still blooming. Go figure.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had daffodils and narcissus blooming for weeks. Woke up to an ice storm yesterday and ice coated frozen flowers. :idunnoToday everything is back to normal. Flowers are still blooming. Go figure.

Well I'm sure glad it is normal somewhere... :cool:
And Spring is HERE! ... OK not really, but I saw ... a PUDDLE! :weee
(You have no idea how beautiful a puddle can be)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw a puddle, too. Then, the power went off! I think something underground was flooded.

Steve

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white, clean and bright
You look happy to meet me
Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the news channel reported that everyone set their clocks forward by one hour this Sunday as DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME has arrived. Now that is the surest sign of spring yet ! :weee :thumbsup

Latest posts