First signs of spring

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
500x1000px-ll-f6776064_cancelschool-jpg.882

I don't know if it helps but remember how Great Falls was all warm & toasty while the Midwest was freezing with storm after storm? WS says it will be -23°f by tomorrow morning, Heather! Minus 23° March 1st! Wonder if that will be a record for Great Falls.

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, that is my Brown Turkey fig baby in the black pot. The bigger red pot also has a fig.

Now I'll have to check the dahlias and begonias for signs of growth. It's still a long time before anything like that gets planted outside.
I was wondering... anyway that I can get some cuttings in a year or two? :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering... anyway that I can get some cuttings in a year or two? :)

I was wondering about that too. Did you start those cuttings yourself, @Smart Red ? If so, is it hard to do? My Brown Turkey fig is getting pretty large now and I'm going to plant it outside and wrap it from now on out. It would be awesome if I could get some babies off of it!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about that too. Did you start those cuttings yourself, @Smart Red ? If so, is it hard to do? My Brown Turkey fig is getting pretty large now and I'm going to plant it outside and wrap it from now on out. It would be awesome if I could get some babies off of it!

Starting figs is not hard to do. I put some cuttings in a container of vermiculite and water and voila! Rooted cuttings.

Journey, do you know what is suggested for growing figs in colder climes? Cutting the roots on one side and laying the plant stem down in a shallow trench that is well mulched. The next fall, cut the roots on the other side and do the same. This is supposed to keep the tree growing and producing well into zone 5.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Starting figs is not hard to do. I put some cuttings in a container of vermiculite and water and voila! Rooted cuttings.

Journey, do you know what is suggested for growing figs in colder climes? Cutting the roots on one side and laying the plant stem down in a shallow trench that is well mulched. The next fall, cut the roots on the other side and do the same. This is supposed to keep the tree growing and producing well into zone 5.

I had not heard of that method. How deep do you think the trench should be? I am very nervous about planting it out and risking losing it. This winter has been so harsh, I'm afraid I lost some of my roses at that. But it's getting too big to manage in a pot. I had been putting it into dormancy, cutting way back on watering, bagging it up to maintain humidity and keeping it in a cool, dark corner of the basement. That is a lot of hassle though. Your way sounds easier. You can cut the branches back quite a bit, right?

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are some Fig varieties that are reportedly very cold tolerant without protections. Hardy Chicago is one (it was found growing in Chicago with no protection). I haven't grown it yet, but have a cutting of that variety that I am trying to root right now. Wish me luck!

12+ more inches of snow on the way to Philly for this Monday. I am so ready to see daffodils, @vfem !