First signs of spring

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just came back into my house after touring the yards. The sun just peaked through the rain clouds. The 2 Black Lace Elderberries, 3 types of Crabapples, a grafted with 3 types of cherries tree, and 5 types of blueberry bushes have all opened their leaf buds. :ya

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK I will grudgingly admit that I've seen some signs of spring, it MIGHT actually come this year! ;)

Dirt visible in the garden! 1st I've seen it all winter!
030.JPG

Snowdrops blooming in their most sheltered spot by the house, awesome!!
031.JPG

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You just reminded me that we have those snowdrops growing wild as an introduced species around these parts. It feels like I haven't been in the swampy-forest for years! Maybe I should head on out there tomorrow and see how they're doing. They grow in huge clumps and light the forest floor up when they're in flower!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener we had FOUR no school days this winter due to VERY COLD days, more so than the snow. Crazy. But signs of spring are finally showing up. Yesterday was almost 60 degrees! The swans are back to the pond I pass by every day on my route. Even a few brave daffodils where pushing through the melting snow on the south brick wall at the Elementary school! Now of course we are to get 1 to 3 inches of WET snow tonight. Iowa winters, Bah !!!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saw several hundred tundra swans Sunday and Monday evening feeding in a field with thousands of Canada geese. I was going to go check them out with the scope, see if i could find a trumpeter swan in there today...BUT its miserable freezing fog today and cant really see more than 100 yards!! Bah.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, the warm, fresh breeze...the sound of birds singing...the tree buds are swelling...the daylight lingers a little longer...the neighbors are all outside and yelling at their kids...it must be spring!

My neighborhood suddenly feels a lot more crowded. Ha.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've got windows and doors open today. It's about 73 degrees and sunny. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 45 and rainy. :(

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The flocks of red-winged blackbirds are finally back!

Went for a hike today, the snowdrops don't even have their leaves yet!

With planting time coming soon, I'm about ready to explode with excitement.

Latest posts