Five Clematis in the mail

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I opened the package after the mailman left :celebrate and was happy to find the five Clematis I recently ordered. That was the only "happy" in this story.

The plants came bare-rooted, :eek: floating amid five empty pots, a mushy mass of wrapping paper, two not five (count 'em, only two) ID labels, one plastic stick, and liberated soil. :ep I have no idea which Clematis is which.o_O The only one I could identify is the one with the stick -- if I knew which variety that was -- as they all look alike: healthy and green and laughing behind their leaves :gigat my puzzled expression.

I have no doubt the plants will grow and thrive. They do look good, but how do I know where to plant each variety? :confused: Some are small almost ground covers and others will stretch to the top of the garden shed roof. I am not a happy Clematis camper right now.:hit

I did sent an E-mail to express my feelings to the company and :fl await their suggested solution to my problem.:caf I've dealt with this company many times before and this is the first bad experience I've had. There goes the flowering Clematis I'd planned for the new bed by the mail box.:he Can't take a chance and plant a giant there.

Sigh! They do look good. :drool If that's the worst of my day, I'm doing great! :love I love surprises and there's always room for JELLO. . . er, I mean another Clematis!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red are these in small pots, maybe 4" or so, if so they could stand a year in gallon size pots to beef up their root systems. You could also sink the pots in the ground, if they turn out to be the wrong one in the wrong place, they'd be easy to move at any time of the year without disturbing the root system. I've done this with a lot of plants, if I'm worried about drainage I've even cut the bottom out, sunk the pot in the ground and then planted it up. Still easy to move if necessary or slip out of the pot and returned to the same hole it was taken out of. I just did this with a bush clover, moved three times until it found it's forever home :).
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're right about always having room for another clem. They seem to come into real vigor their third year and I'm finding that I've crowded them a bit on my picket fence, which has been my favorite place to plant them. I moved one that overgrew it's space to the trellis and it never skipped a beat. But it's a challenge to keep it tied so it doesn't flop down and bloom all over the ground.

What varieties did you get?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where did you get them? I'm wanting to add a couple this year and have been wondering about a good source.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oops! Six clematis now potted up in the yard. I missed one. Clematis Empress is also one of the plants according to the packing slip.

These came from THEHOSTAFARM which started a liquidation branch of the operation this winter called saleforplants. The clematis were part of a liquidation sale they offered.

I've gotten lots of hosta from this company with no problems. Not sure why there was a problem this time. Expecting to hear from them today.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine came today box was crushed, plant broken, all soil around roots gone. will post photos Oh and packing slip some how got wet and blurred so bad can't read.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSCF0587.JPG
DSCF0588.JPG
DSCF0589.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sheesh! That's much like mine. I wonder why? I've not had a problem with this company before and they've gotten plenty of my money in the past. In fact, your frosty hosta came from them and it arrived in fine condition.

I see that you got yours labeled. I've got two of them. Of course, I don't know where they go.

I'm still awaiting an answer from them.