Flowers and Vegetables

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As winter is approaching and I am doing some autumn clean-up every day, an idea comes to mind these two days.

I used different raised beds in my vegetable garden, where I don't plan to do anything this winter. I decided to plant leafy greens and beans (for shoots) inside my greenhouse. Usually, the frost in spring could come till the end of May, so all the warmth-loving vegetables have to wait until early June.

This year I sowed quite early in early March and transplanted those frost-hardy seedlings into raised beds in middle April. The only problem is that I have harvested too many vegetables. :lol:

What I am considering now is -- what if I plant bulbs in some raised beds (and cover them with a thick layer of compost)? Let's say tulip, early varieties.

So they will blossom from late April till middle May, then gradually die back. When they finally die back in June, and the risk of frost is also away. Then it might be a proper timing to transplant the seedlings of warmth-loving vegetables.

I already planted roses with strawberries together, and both grown well. I also want to plant coneflowers with vegetables next year. Just wondering - will it work to let bulbs instead of leafy green act as the first crop?

Thanks for any inputs.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if the article link didn't load or if it is a problem with my device, Phaedra. I don't see any link in your second post.

Here's a newspaper article on the idea. It looks like a GO to me ;):

Steve
Luther Burbank, "Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food, and medicine to the soul."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've done it for years (at least 10) by growing beans on top of the tulips as they fade away. it is very much going to depend upon the varieties of tulips as some will not like being that wet through the summer.

the beans will sprout and grow better if the tulips are completely done, but at times i've planted some of the beans and then come back later as the tulips finally finish and replant into the bare spots.

i think transplanting tomatoes would be simpler but i like to dig the tomatoes in and put them down deep which can be a challenge to do in a tulip/bulb garden.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i've done it for years (at least 10) by growing beans on top of the tulips as they fade away. it is very much going to depend upon the varieties of tulips as some will not like being that wet through the summer.

the beans will sprout and grow better if the tulips are completely done, but at times i've planted some of the beans and then come back later as the tulips finally finish and replant into the bare spots.

i think transplanting tomatoes would be simpler but i like to dig the tomatoes in and put them down deep which can be a challenge to do in a tulip/bulb garden.
Thanks for your advice, and it's great to hear this method works. Most of my vegetables are planted in the raised beds, and I add compost twice a year. Maybe I can add another thick layer before tulips are almost done and then transplant the following crops. :D

Latest posts