Free Mulch & Wood Chips Program

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I just heard about this in an email today. Sounds like it will be really handy once it catches on. It's a site where you can sign up to receive free wood chips when tree trimming companies are working in your area. The idea is that they will look at the list of requests and deliver them for free to the nearest person on the list, to save fuel and keep them out of landfills.

Asplundh will give them to you free around here, but you have to keep your eyes peeled and go talk to them when you see them out working. They'll call you directly through this new program.

It will probably be forever until it catches on here where I am, but I figured it was worth a shot! Let me know if any of you guys do get free mulch from them.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG I want to get in on this!!!! But when I click the link all I get is the title at the top and a blank page ????

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There should be an embedded video, rather large, and a bunch of words if you scroll down. Maybe it's a browser compatibility problem? I've had that happen before where I could see a page with Firefox, but not with IE9.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's probably it. I get lots of blocked things on this computer (work). I'll try to get it again this weekend.
This is very exciting. There is A LOT of tree work always going on around me and I can use just about all the mulch they want to dump.

Sprinkler Buddy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend putting this in beds around your home as mulch. It tends to attract unwanted guest such as termites, german roaches, etc... I had a customer do this once and they soon had me replacing it once they started having a serious bug issues. It's untreated and usually has several different types of wood chips within, not to mention rotted wood mixed in as well.

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Good info Sprinkler Buddy. Nevertheless, I did just sign up for it - I can always use it around trees as mulch, or age it in a compost pile before using it.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have HUGE mulch beds from the driveway to the porch (to control mud). For years I've gone to a local telephone post manufacturing facility and cleaned up under their bark removal machine. But the past couple of years I haven't had a vehicle that I trust to get down in that hole and pull a load back back up again - so my mulch beds have turned to dirt... and the dirt had migrated into the house....
When you need TONS it's worth it to me to risk the need for a bug bomb now and then.

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I tried to sign up three different times, but it tells me I must have a valid U.S address.
I don't know....Idaho is still part of the Union isn't it?
It didn't like my address at first either. Turns out all it wants in that field is the street address. E.g. 123 Main St. Don't put any commas, city or state. Then put the zip in the next field and you're good to go.

Sprinkler Buddy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried to sign up three different times, but it tells me I must have a valid U.S address.
I don't know....Idaho is still part of the Union isn't it?
I know when I input a zip code to ship, they automatically add some other #'s to it. Maybe that's the problem.

Latest posts