Free Mulch & Wood Chips Program

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had some giant maple stumps ground up which created a mountain of chips. They killed most of the plants that I mulched them with. I had planted a ton of daffodils, which are hard to kill, and all perished. I think it was because I used them thickly and they were fresh. Use fresh chips with care or let them sit a while. They create a ton of heat as they decompose.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my area we have an invasive tree called Chinese Tallow tree. It is a tree weed that spreads like a prairie fire. I got a load of wood chips once and guess what was in it? Yep. I bagged it up and got rid of it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @David hall, to TEG.

Are you looking for wood chips or responding to baymule's post? I wasn't sure. If you are looking for wood chips for yourself, I'd offer this caution -- remove the chips, pick up the weed barrier, and put back at least every other year. While weeds will not grow up through weed barriers, they will seed and grow down into the barrier. You may ask me how I came to learn this, but I'll be busy pulling up 30 year old landscape fabric that's overgrown with weeds.

David hall

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Welcome, @David hall, to TEG.

Are you looking for wood chips or responding to baymule's post? I wasn't sure. If you are looking for wood chips for yourself, I'd offer this caution -- remove the chips, pick up the weed barrier, and put back at least every other year. While weeds will not grow up through weed barriers, they will seed and grow down into the barrier. You may ask me how I came to learn this, but I'll be busy pulling up 30 year old landscape fabric that's overgrown with weeds.
Thank u for ur advise I will.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I just heard about this in an email today. Sounds like it will be really handy once it catches on. It's a site where you can sign up to receive free wood chips when tree trimming companies are working in your area. The idea is that they will look at the list of requests and deliver them for free to the nearest person on the list, to save fuel and keep them out of landfills.

Asplundh will give them to you free around here, but you have to keep your eyes peeled and go talk to them when you see them out working. They'll call you directly through this new program.

It will probably be forever until it catches on here where I am, but I figured it was worth a shot! Let me know if any of you guys do get free mulch from them.

Went to that site and, as usual, they don't let you use a rural address as a "street address", so this stuff is only for city folk. :rolleyes: What is it with this country? Most of it is rural but they don't acknowledge us as having a correct address. Makes me wanna :he someone's head.

Latest posts