Free Plants No Takers

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice score carol, here downtown white plains, has traffic islands that are filled with flowers. There is a small sign stating with business is sponsoring the planting. The flowers are changed spring, summer and fall. I always wonder what happens to the plants when changed out.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't think day lilies could be killed. With their thick roots, even in severe drought they keep going.

We got rain last night, Carol. I'm guessing you did, too? Just what my hosta (and other starts) needed.
Yes we got a good INCH ;) I see you have gotten rain when it missed us several tines.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom for a couple of years, I'd buy that particle type late in year and they didn't seem to live. Winter kill. I've dug up a lot of road side lilies, placed then n sme really nasty places and they thrive. I know have 3 of cultivated lilies that we surviving in what should be perfect place. Other perennials are thriving......

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits I noticed less plants at stored, too. The grocery store has nothing but hanging plants, the hardware store only as few basic garden plants (tomato, pepper, cabbage) and hanging baskets. Farm and Fleet did not even put up a garden center like they usually have. The selection at HyVee seemed sparser and picked over when I stopped. So that leaves the big garden centers and nurseries and big bucks. :( No wonder I was thrilled to pick up hosta and daylilies on the curb. :)

The coop usually has some nice plants, but nothing this year. I can't understand why they are not watering these expensive plants