flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when food prices spiked up several years ago there were a lot of new gardens planted and more people got into canning.

it does take more effort than many people want to do. i think a fair number of gardens put in around here are still going. the constant animal pressure is discouraging so you do have to put up fences or have some other deterents.

they grew watermelons here a few years, but then one year someone came and stole them and haven't bothered since. we grow squash instead.

what varieties of squash do you have? we really have settled on buttercup as our favorite and main squash. it doesn't usually get killed off by borers (even if it gets attacked) and stores until mid-winter (which if we still have enough left by then i'm finally recovered from everything else and the most of the bean shelling and sorting is done and can take time to put the rest of it up in the freezer if needed). :)

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it is ok, i surely understand, i have many hundreds of selections and crosses that i've not even bothered to name (need to grow them out until i have an idea of what they are like and if they're stable or not)

thanks, no luck on the Baker Creek search for Jacobson, but the Lisco came up and i was able to see pictures. i have close to those in the variety called Etna and also just the general cranberry type beans so i will pass on those.
I understand

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Todd, do you have a bush type cantelope that might do well in my area? My summers are kind of cool, around 67° but do have a long season. My yard is tiny so I'd like something that doesn't grow to big.

Thanks
Mary

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Todd, do you have a bush type cantelope that might do well in my area? My summers are kind of cool, around 67° but do have a long season. My yard is tiny so I'd like something that doesn't grow to big.

Thanks
Mary
I have been looking for a bush type cantaloupe for a long time and there really isn't one. However Minnesota midget would be the one I recommend. The melons are very small, about 4 inches around and you can get quite a few from just 2 or 3 vines. They can be trellised very easily but the vines have a very limited sprawl. If you want a few just let me know.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been looking for a bush type cantaloupe for a long time and there really isn't one. However Minnesota midget would be the one I recommend. The melons are very small, about 4 inches around and you can get quite a few from just 2 or 3 vines. They can be trellised very easily but the vines have a very limited sprawl. If you want a few just let me know.
I’d like to try them. Can you send me just 3-4 seeds? Do you have my address?

Thanks
Mary

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I’d like to try them. Can you send me just 3-4 seeds? Do you have my address?

Thanks
Mary
I don't think I have it still. I will send you about 12 seeds that way you can plant a few extras to make sure you get 3 or 4 good vines. Here is my email address Hobbsheirloom@gmail.com just send me your address and I'll get them out to you in the next week. I just had surgery on my back a few days ago and I am not up and getting around fully yet but you will get them in plenty of time.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness Todd back surgery? Please take care of yourself and don’t over do it.

I don’t need that many seeds. I’ll send you my address.

Mary

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh my goodness Todd back surgery? Please take care of yourself and don’t over do it.

I don’t need that many seeds. I’ll send you my address.

Mary
This is my second surgery in 18 years but I am doing great. It is better you have more seeds than not enough and need them. Besides I have about 10 or 12 ounces of seeds.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the lisco from seed savers exchange and I think the actual name is "liscos bird egg", if you go to SSE website you will find it but I will send you the seed I grew if you want some.
I take it that the full name of the bean you mentioned is "Lina Sisco's Bird Egg"?

Wish I could help... but my plate is already overflowing. As a fellow collector, I sympathize with your plight, maintaining a large collection can be a challenge. Getting help growing beans will be a particularly tough sell on TEG, since there is a very large bean project already underway. :idunno

You might get a better response if you post a bulletin at a garden store, farm & fleet, or wherever people locally buy seed & garden supplies... "free seed" would probably be more attractive to those already seeking same.

Latest posts