dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was still working, one of my stops was a convent for retired nuns.
I knew one of the nuns and would ask to see her when I was there.
One day the place was overcome by the aroma of fresh bread and I commented on how great a smell it was.
Well sister Ida Marie left for a few minutes and came back with 2 fresh loaves of bread for me.
She told me which days of the week they made bread so guess when my calls were scheduled for from there on after?????

THANX RICH

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can offer you the imagining of it....soft, silky and springy in texture, melted butter soaking into the yeasty goodness, flaky crust, and a grand symphony of flavor in the mouth! :drool Break off a piece of it and dip it into the venison stew for the full effect of it all.... :love
You described it so well that I tasted it! Except for the venison stew. Never had venison. :(

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't make plain loaves of bread often. Maybe I should. :) My kids seem to prefer the boring consistency of sliced bread for their pbj's, lol. I do frequently make homemade pizza crust and raisin bread though. And I love focaccia! I have a recipe I will be making soon (every spring) when the ramps are up, they make a good topping for it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Italian neighbor use to bring home made bread over. It never got the chance to cool. Was it good.

I cheat, bread machine, then I bake in small loaves. Bread flour is so expensive compared to flour. Don't understand why self rising is so much more cheaper.

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't make plain loaves of bread often. Maybe I should. :) My kids seem to prefer the boring consistency of sliced bread for their pbj's, lol. I do frequently make homemade pizza crust and raisin bread though. And I love focaccia! I have a recipe I will be making soon (every spring) when the ramps are up, they make a good topping for it.

Geez I think I must be living under a rock, I had to look Ramps up LOL. @journey11 they are wild onion/leeks? We have something that grows wild here that has an onion like flavor but not sure what it really is and I can't even remember what it looked like. It was a loooooog time ago when I was verrrrrry young when I sampled it and spit it out :eek:.
Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Talking about Garlic Bread, how do you all make yours. I keep a supply of french dip buns from a local bakery in the freezer. when we want garlic toast I take a couple out slice them while still frozen and spread them with a mixture of Becel margarine and several garlic cloves put through a press and stick the buns under the broiler for a few minutes until the get a little brown around the edges.
Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been using the same recipe from a Good Housekeeping cookbook with half its pages missing, forever! Mom might have had that thing in the '30's.

It's for "refrigerator rolls" but the yeast dough can go in loaf pans. The limited kneading has appeal although the cold dough will take much of the day to double in bulk so it has to come out into room temperature, early in the morning for a midday meal.

I mentioned this somewhere, recently. Interested in slowing the quick conversion of bread starches to sugar? Think you would be okay with a purple "white" bread?

cnn.it/1RpNyRw

I've had experience with "black rice." Actually, I didn't find that it contributes much more than color to white rice. A sophisticated palate? Not really ...

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm a bread maker. I always have a jar of yeast in my fridge, and I use older brands of flour, like Lily, because they grind from whole grain, but the flour is white.
I have to be able to plan my day around the bread making. If you haven't made bread, you should try. It's pretty easy to do, just time consuming only because you have to wait for it to rise twice, so you need to put aside about 3-5 hours, depending on the house temperature and where you let it rise.
It's a great way to blow off steam. You can pound it and pound it and it just becomes more dense.

Latest posts